Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 App Ver 8.300 Map 815
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 App Ver 8.300 Map 815

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickjn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: 720 App Ver 8.300 Map 815 Reply with quote

Hi all
Have just updated tt720 with app version 8.300 and 815 map and have noticed I have now lost the ability to have a spoken voice for poi,s and speed cameras. According to tomtom this has been removed and all you can have is a sound or record your own. now if you have a few poi warning thats a lot of recordings you have to do. I have said to tomtom that with this version you have to look at the screen more often which means you take your eyes off the road surely this is dangerous but they dont seem to care. Also the show next road name still works but the name is not in the status bar but at the top of the screen so when tt tells you to turn and you want to know road name you have to look in 2 places. I my opinion user should not upgrade to latest app or map. I did this and also paid £55 for updates of a map I can use as the map 815 does not work with app versions 7.XXX which is what I have reverted to.

Any other users have this problem???? Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have been told is complete rubbish, there is nothing wrong with using the Text To Speech system for POI Alerts or Speed Cameras. What TT have disabled with 8,300 is the ability to use the FM Transmitter for navigation and POI voice, as you haven't mentioned the FM Tx try the following to get the Text To Speech working again:

Try a simple reset of the device by pressing the reset button on the underside of the device, if that fails try the following:

Make sure you have a Computer voice selected (Change Preferences/ Voice Preferences/ Change Voice) - either Kate or Simon are the UK Text To Speech voices.
Now go to Speech Preferences and make sure "Read aloud POI Warnings is selected and on the second page "Read aloud warnings" is selected - Mike
mickjn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I have Kate selected and she works fine for navigation but when i setup warnig for poi's there is no option to select a spoken warning and the same with the cameras, all the other things you suggested I have tried but as i say there is no option for spoken warning just the option to used a beep or cow etc or record your own.

Also dont use the FM transmitter

Below is what tt sent to me
To clear up the issue from earlier regarding safety cameras, i have checked with out 2nd line team and the current application 8.3 (which is currently installed in your device) doesn't give computer voices as a warning preference for the safety cameras.

With Best Regards

Richard

The TomTom Customer Support Team
w is what tt sent to me

mikealder wrote:
What you have been told is complete rubbish, there is nothing wrong with using the Text To Speech system for POI Alerts or Speed Cameras. What TT have disabled with 8,300 is the ability to use the FM Transmitter for navigation and POI voice, as you haven't mentioned the FM Tx try the following to get the Text To Speech working again:

Try a simple reset of the device by pressing the reset button on the underside of the device, if that fails try the following:

Make sure you have a Computer voice selected (Change Preferences/ Voice Preferences/ Change Voice) - either Kate or Simon are the UK Text To Speech voices.
Now go to Speech Preferences and make sure "Read aloud POI Warnings is selected and on the second page "Read aloud warnings" is selected - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried this on my 720 and it works fine offing the option to set up and use the TTS voices for POI warnings - are you setting up spoken alerts for built in POI files and the TomTom safety camera database or other POI files?
I have only checked this with normal POI files such as the ones downloaded from this site as I don't use the TT POI files - Mike
mickjn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

mike
i am trying to set voices for poi files like pcworld etc but i just dont have the option to use voice and with cameras from tt i still dont get the option to set using voices, i have but system back to 7.48 and option is there.

mikealder wrote:
I have just tried this on my 720 and it works fine offing the option to set up and use the TTS voices for POI warnings - are you setting up spoken alerts for built in POI files and the TomTom safety camera database or other POI files?
I have only checked this with normal POI files such as the ones downloaded from this site as I don't use the TT POI files - Mike
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats weird because on my recently upgraded 720 I can select both of the options Mike describes...except after ticking Read Aloud POI warnings the next screen only has "Read Aloud Warnings"....which I assume is the same thing

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
mickjn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Guys have tried all you suggested any more ideas??? the button/option is not there to use voice when the new app is installed and map installed and tt say 8.300 does not allow the use of voice for speed camera warnings of poi. I have put system back to version 7.48 and all ok

Please help Mad Confused Crying or Very sad

topgazza wrote:
Thats weird because on my recently upgraded 720 I can select both of the options Mike describes...except after ticking Read Aloud POI warnings the next screen only has "Read Aloud Warnings"....which I assume is the same thing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TomTom really said that about ordinary POIs, then they ARE talking complete rubbish.

Here are a couple of screen shots I took just minutes ago showing my 720 running v8.300 software and giving you the full options for choosing either text to speech warnings or sound effects for your POI warnings

If you are not getting that screen and you've checked all the things that Mike suggested, then the only other thing I can think of that might cause your problem is this...

Are you trying to set up the warnings in HOME?

If so... it won't work. There is some sort of licensing restriction which means TomTom aren't allowed to use any TTS stuff while you are connected to Home. This even means the menu screens are missing.
Do it on the machine itself and all is well.

I only remembered because I usually use Home to make my screen shots, but couldn't on this occasion.

TomTom ARE right that you can't seem to use TTS warnings for their OWN speed camera database though. Another backward step!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried the "Use spoken warnings" because I'm quite happy with the PGPSW speed camera warnings and I don't want to be warned about petrol stations, or any other POIs. But to satisfy my curiosity, I assume the wording changes according to what kind of POI it is. If so, do they only work with the built in POIs and not ov2 type POIs?
mickjn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Hooray Reply with quote

Hi all
Now sorted, did a fresh reload again and I can now have voice for poi's and have got hold of a cd with great sw for tt720 which gives loads off ogg files so now have warnings for cameras and not just sounds. This sw is great it also has loads of poi's, sounds, voice alerts, voices, splash screens, instructions on how to create your own menus, colours, low bridge warnings, postcodes and more.

Thanks for all your help.

Calomax wrote:
I've never tried the "Use spoken warnings" because I'm quite happy with the PGPSW speed camera warnings and I don't want to be warned about petrol stations, or any other POIs. But to satisfy my curiosity, I assume the wording changes according to what kind of POI it is. If so, do they only work with the built in POIs and not ov2 type POIs?
Very Happy
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooray Reply with quote

mickjn wrote:
have got hold of a cd with great sw for tt720 which gives loads off ogg files so now have warnings for cameras and not just sounds. This sw is great it also has loads of poi's, sounds, voice alerts, voices, splash screens, instructions on how to create your own menus, colours, low bridge warnings, postcodes and more.

Just as a matter of interest, and I didn't have the problems you experienced when updating my 520 to 8.30 and the 815 maps, what is the CD you got? Is is a software suite that can generate POIs and .ogg files, or a compilation of these from different sources.

The only reason I ask is that there has been some debate withing the forums regarding the pirating of POIs from Pocket GPS World and I just hope you have not spent good money on 'iffy' stuff.

If you care to name your source, then perhaps the mods could check it out for future reference?
mickjn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hooray Reply with quote

Purchased the cd from ebay from a trusted seller if I knew how to insert a screen shot I would. Here is the link to item on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270288157097&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

richard345 wrote:
mickjn wrote:
have got hold of a cd with great sw for tt720 which gives loads off ogg files so now have warnings for cameras and not just sounds. This sw is great it also has loads of poi's, sounds, voice alerts, voices, splash screens, instructions on how to create your own menus, colours, low bridge warnings, postcodes and more.

Just as a matter of interest, and I didn't have the problems you experienced when updating my 520 to 8.30 and the 815 maps, what is the CD you got? Is is a software suite that can generate POIs and .ogg files, or a compilation of these from different sources.

The only reason I ask is that there has been some debate withing the forums regarding the pirating of POIs from Pocket GPS World and I just hope you have not spent good money on 'iffy' stuff.

If you care to name your source, then perhaps the mods could check it out for future reference?
[img][/img][img][/img]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying this is.... but USUALLY these CDs from eBay are either:
1. SELLING stuff that is available for free on the web, or
2. SELLING stuff that is copyright to others.

Everything on there sounds very familiar.....
and certainly the POIs, splash screens, camera/POI warning voices and map colour schemes are all available for free from many places in the on-line TomTom community.

You'll find people get a bit tetchy when they hear about things like this as many of those here have created a lot of this content themselves for the good of everyone, NOT for someone to profit out of.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickjn, please don't think that I was 'having a go' at you for purchasing this CD.

Rant On/ On the face of it, it looks very genuine and there are all sorts of disclaimers and acknowledgments of trade marks etc., but if it is a pure rip-off of other peoples efforts, I have to say I am against them being made available.

There are some exceedingly hard working people out there, not just those on this forum, that spend many hours defining, compiling and distributing this type of information to the whole community for no reward whatsoever.

For others to profit for this, stinks! /rant off

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: