Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Live Petrol Prices & POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Petrol Prices & POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Live Petrol Prices & POIs Reply with quote

I noticed something odd on this yesterday on the 940. My local petrol station is on the wrong side of the railway line down a cul de sac so I corrected it. There is another petrol station showing very nearby in the middle of some houses and I tried to correct it but it would not let me as "selected item is not a map provider POI".

I then noticed that the icon is slightly different and is a petrol pump with a $ sign in the middle of it and comes from FuelStationsEU.bmp. This must be downloaded as part of the petrol prices live service and cannot be corrected. It's name is different "Total" as compared to the real station which is now "TCS" and the live petrol prices show a TOTAL garages price. There are no petrol EU OV2 files so this data must be contained the FPF files. It is not shown in the list of POIs.

On looking around the map at a high level of zoom at most petrol stations on zooming in there are two POIs nearby, one from the POIs and one from the Live Petrol Prices. Clearly TomTom do not get their location data about the petrol stations from the same source.

Also if you choose to show POI petrol stations this also controls whether you see Live Service petrol stations, you see double or nothing.

The live service petrol stations appear to be more accurately positioned but are still in the middle of housing estates, wrong side of railway lines etc. The accuracy seems to be typically around 400m out, which may not seem much but can make them tricky to find in town centres and one way systems.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the inbuilt POI is based on a Postcode address supplied by the Retailer, I think. The 'LIVE' locations are provided by a different organisation which, in a lot of cases, is more accurate than the POI.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: