Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT G0 530 / latest map guarentee question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT G0 530 / latest map guarentee question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: TT G0 530 / latest map guarentee question Reply with quote

Hi I've recently bought the go 530 and have also updated it using latest version of home software.

I first updated the device using the 'update tom tom' functionality of the home software. It found many updates including application versions, map update, gspquickfix, new voices and a few other things. They all downloaded and installed fine and the tom tom updated itself fine as well.

I used the system yesterday and all was well - typed in postcode of S2 2RJ (Granville Road, Sheffield) and it gave me a map to the location).

I did notice a few unusual occurances with the map at roundabouts where as most of us will be aware, regardless of how many lanes there are
left lane usually turn left or go straight on
the far right lane you can only turn right

then the other(s) are either go straight on only or straight on and also right turn.

The 1st roundabout in question going into the city was Brook Hill Roundabout in sheffield, close to Sheffield University. There are 3 lanes but the right lane as we all know is turn right only. I needed to go straight on,yet the the traffic direction display on bottom left corner said I needed to be either in middle lane or right lane, this wasn't correct.It should have been either left or middle lane as right lane ONLY turn right?

Last night I then updated my map to latest map guarentee version (8.10 I believe), there was also an auto sharemap update as well which installed. Again all was well, the UK / Ireland latest map downloaded and installed fine and was recognised my my device.

This morning though when using it, postcode S2 2RJ was recognised as a legitimate postcode but then after pressing 'done' when asked the house number (the postcode doesn't have a house number as its a place of education and didn't enter a house number yesterday or on other previous tom tom versions) it told me no route could be obtained.

Also again each roundabout I came to, when I needed to go straight ahead, the lane guide in bottom left always told me that I could go straight on using the right hand lane, again its common knowledge and also national knowledge that right hand lane is right only, isn't it?

Has anyone else found this unusual?

thanks,
Michael
michaelr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bump the thread, just i notived lots of views but no replies. May the question was too expansive so I'll try to condense

1) For postcode S2 2RJ which is a location on Granville Road, Sheffield - on my Go 530 with latest map guarentee (V 8.10 I believe), the postal area can be found but seemingly no routes available? Yet on previous map and previous older tom tom, a route can be created no problem.

2) Why does each roundabout seemingly advise us that to go straight on, we can use the right hand lane, when in reality right side lane can only turn right - surely this is standard practice and also part of the highways agency code?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, steady on - less than 2 hours and you're asking where we all are! You should try asking TomTom the same question and see how long that takes! Lots of views doesn't mean lots of understanding. Viewers will have been attracted by your title "TT G0 530 / latest map guarentee question" which is quite a long way removed from navigating to Granville Road and/or negotiating roundabouts.

Anyway, last time a problem like this occurred, it turned out that the area in question had been sealed off by mapshare corrections all around it, leaving no navigable route to it. Try disabling your mapshare corrections and see how it goes then. (Reset your preferences in both Home and on your device to only accept changes verified by TomTom, or better still, to accept NO corrections at all, then try the navigate again). Browse Map around Granville Road to see if you have it blocked by dotted roads, browse the point where you were trying to navigate from and see if that had similar blockages.

As for roundabouts. As with many roads, TT's ideas of road layouts are often rather theoretical - if you've seen advance lane guidance in operation, you'll notice that it often portrays lanes which don't match the actual layouts. So I'd say you need to take those arrows with a pinch of salt - check where you're supposed to be going and position yourself wisely accordingly.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
michaelr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Dennis and thank you for your reply.

I am actually less than a week old to the TT 530 (having had the old original 1st ever TT One before) so not fully familiar with how the map share and the new functionalities offered do work.

Prior to your post I had reset my device which gave me map version 8.010 ( I presume this is the latest official tom tom GB and Ireland map?), I then tried the postcode search again, which as per before gave me a result, but this time when clicking 'done' on the house number menu it proceeded to generate a route map for me :-).

I did a little test to see if map share was still included, docking the 530 and then checking for updates through Home, there was a 'gpsquickfix' and also a 'map share' update (indicating to me that mapshare was possibly the cause of the problem). After installing only gps quick fix I tried the post code again and it did generate the expected result i.e. a map produced.

So now I'm still left with a mapshare update that I'll leave alone for the time being.

In Home 'map share preferences' I did also check the settings and the setting at present is 'Strict' which it does say only allows those updates as approved by Tom Tom?

As a side note the location and post code in question is actually educational grounds situated off the main Granville Road itself i.e. not a house or side street....I wonder if this is why map share didn't produce the desired effect or if this was the cause of the issue experienced?

Thanks,
Michael
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelr wrote:

2) Why does each roundabout seemingly advise us that to go straight on, we can use the right hand lane, when in reality right side lane can only turn right - surely this is standard practice and also part of the highways agency code?

I have to say I very regularily use the right-hand lane on approach to a roundabout when going straight on.

All I can find in the on-line version of the Highway Code is Rule #186:
Quote:

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
* keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
* keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout

* you should not normally need to signal on approach
* stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

(my underlining)

So it looks to me like there are no fixed rules, it is up to you to use common sense and choose tha "appropriate" lane.
michaelr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Andy it seems like there is room for manoeuvre although I have to say on road markings for majority of roundabouts I've approached, depending on how many lanes the left lane is marked either left only or left & straight ahead, other lanes are ahead only (with 1 also being for right turn usually) and right lane is normally always right turn / all way around only.

That's also how I was instructed on my driving test.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
All I can find in the on-line version of the Highway Code is Rule #186:
Quote:

Signals and position.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout

* you should not normally need to signal on approach
* stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

It's Rule 162 in my hard copy (1999 version). Not understanding it may explain why a man Road Raged me in Nottingham this week - he came from my blind spot, rear offside (right lane on the roundabout) and went to cut across me to turn off before my exit. Lights stopped us both and he jumped out to give me a battering. I felt quite grateful that my van features an auto-locking device which locks all doors when I get up to 5mph. He couldn't get in, so he tried to smash the passenger door window with his fist. When he failed, I drove off before he could try again!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty, Dennis...
His name wasn't 'Sha.......' by any chance, was it? Shocked

michaelr wrote:
Indeed Andy it seems like there is room for manoeuvre although I have to say on road markings for majority of roundabouts I've approached

Agreed... if there are arrows on the road, then they should take precidence over a hazily-worded highway code rule, and I *do* abide by the road markings (unless they're covered by snow! Laughing ).
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to prepare a route to SJ22RJ and it came up with "Granville Road", but it then it couldn't find a route. So I tried to find it under "Find Address" and it could only come up with a lot of "SK" postcodes, no "SJ"s at all. The same when I tried to plan a route again.

But if I select "Street & House Number" Sheffield, Granville Road, Anywhere, if plans a route with no problem.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These differences can be explained by the postcode files which are different on the x30 units, what we could do with is the new postcode data being made available to users of the x20 devices running v8xx mapping - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I just tried to prepare a route to SJ22RJ and it came up with "Granville Road", but it then it couldn't find a route. So I tried to find it under "Find Address" and it could only come up with a lot of "SK" postcodes, no "SJ"s at all. The same when I tried to plan a route again.

But if I select "Street & House Number" Sheffield, Granville Road, Anywhere, if plans a route with no problem.

Your postcode is incorrect - there are no postcodes in the UK beginning with SJ. All postcodes in Sheffield begin with S followed by a number. Granville Road has a number of postcodes, all of the format S2 2Rx. S2 2RJ is one of these, relating to two properties - All Saints School and its Caretaker's House. (Information obtained from the Royal Mail website).
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops Embarassed Sorry, No wonder I couldn't find it after the first time when I did put it in correctly. Nevertheless, it still says no route found. But if I put in Sheffield, Granville Road, Anywhere, it will plan a route. This is on a 720 with 810 Western Europe Map
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section of Granville Road between the Suffolk Road/Farm Road junction and Fitzwalter Road is marked as being blocked or not for regular traffic for some reason (e.g. pedestrianised area?). Therefore, the TT cannot navigate to a position where there are no valid roads nearby.

When you just navigate to Granville Road, it can use the other end of the road quite comfortably.

It may have been done by someone using MapShare incorrectly, or possibly by TomTom themselves. Unfortunately, I don't know the area myself, so can't suggest what change is actually required (though using Google maps it seems to be a farly standard road!) but if you know that the road is fully open, then you should probably think of correcting it yourself using MapShare. That way, we can all gain from the benefit of your local knowledge.
michaelr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daggers, I know Granville Road itself well, having used it only a near daily basis for the past seven months but not any adjacent roads. There is the Sheffield College on left and School on the right. I also think it is a map share issue (the route works fine without doing a map share update).

I know that there is left turn and then another immediate left turn or straight on up to go onto granville road, passing a set of traffic lights. After this Sheffield College has a left turn off and All Saints a right turn off opposite. It is just a normal road, nothing unusual at all.The only possible thing I can think of is that around 7/8 weeks ago the lower section of the road was closed for around 7 weeks due to construction works but its open now.Perhaps somebody made the alteration during this time?

Having not really used map share at all (to make my own changes) due to being unfamiliar with the service and having not browsed the map area itself either, i hadn't noticed its marked as blocked.

thanks,
michael
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably correct in your assumption that a temporary closure somehow got recorded on Mapshare as a permanent change.

If the road has now re-opened, can I suggest that you do use MapShare to unblock it. As it stands at the moment, you will never be routed along Granville Road, and may therefore see all sorts of odd routes as a result. You can't rely on other people unblocking the road for you, and your submission may be the one which results in TomTom "verifying" that the road is now open again, which will help the rest of us if we do happen to make an occasional journey to Sheffield.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: