Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - problem restoreing SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

problem restoreing SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianstep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: problem restoreing SD card Reply with quote

Hi. recently I tried to update the speed camera POI on my viamichelin X970T New edition. On connecting to my PC, running Vista, I was told some files were corrupted & to perform a restore on the SD card. I have tried several times, but each time it has failed. I tried a hard reset on the PN in case it was a hardware problem, but seemed unable to do this, by pressing the power button while keeping the reset down. I returned the unit to Maplins, but complete waste of time. Really would appreciate any help or advise as I do rate the unit. Many thanks
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it fail (eg, any error messages)? I presume you did the original installation which sets up the DVD to enable a restore operation to be carried out when necessary.

Also have you the full user manual from the website? That describes the restore operation in a bit of detail.
brianstep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bigperk, many thanks for your speedy reply. There were no error messages, just at the end a box saying restore failed, try again ?, which I have several times. Will try downloading the manual from the website to see if any clues there. Did also try a hard reset as described in the guide, but didn't get the results they described. i.e. connected mains supply, removed SD card, press the reset point & held down power button. The guide says after a few seconds a message will appear & a countdown will start. This didn't happen on my PND. Instead several faint vertical lines appeared which gradually grew darker. After about 2 minutes I gave up ! Although this did seem to be some benefit, it didn't erase the personal details ( phone contacts, saved journies etc.) as it said it would so I don't believe a full PND restore was performed. I am wondering if there could be a hardware fault which is not allowing the content manager to do a restore to my SD card. Any more ideas gratefully received, thanks Brian
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I can't say for certain, obviously, but from your description it seems to me that either the card or the PND may be bug**red (has anything happened to either which may have damaged them?). Does the unit itself still work ok with the card in it?

If you have an SD card reader, you could try doing the restore direct from the card (if my memory is correct that VM allows that). If the unit does still work ok, it could be worth trying to create a copy of the card. You could also check the files on the PC to see if there is any mention of corruption.

Failing any progress there, I suggest that you contact the VM helpdesk, especially if you are still under warranty (or go back to the retailer). I believe the helpdesk is becoming increasingly difficult to contact, and the support less knowledgeable, but I think you will find a contact number in one of the VM threads on here, if you have any difficulty.

It's a great shame that VM left the market - quite a few of us really liked the units but now of course most have moved on, so attention to the VM threads has almost disappeared (I'm retired, so don't have a life! Cool). Good luck anyway.
brianstep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, sorry didn't get back to you earlier but had few days away. Sadly I think I may have to reconcile myself to the PND being beyond repair. This unit has a chequered past, having been a replacment for a defunct unit from Maplins which was irreparable & out of production. It's a real pity as this unit was flawless for a few months, but is now unreliable. For 3 days it worked fine, then today heading back home from Lincolnshire, it locked up & wouldn't even turn off. Big panic as phone was connected to it & I know I couldn't answer the phone using the unit in this condition. Involved pulling over & turning the bluetooth off on phone & putting voice mail on. Any way, will try VM helpdesk on Monday & let you know how it goes. People like you make these forums worthwhile & I really appreciate your efforts. Best wishes, enjoy your retirement
brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: