Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Text to Speech Files on TomTom 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Text to Speech Files on TomTom 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Text to Speech Files on TomTom 720 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have added my own point of interest on my tomtom 720 and have added the following text-to-speech ie "wedding venue in 300 yards". My question is where is this text saved? Is it an ogg file? what is the file called? I would like to recall this file and add a "bong" noise at the start of the text and save as a OGG file using a third party software.

Regards,

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The settings are stored in the MapSettings.cfg file within the map folder but it is only text that is stored, you could connect the TT to your PC sound input and record the sound playing from the TomTom the edit the resultant audio file to add the bong, use route demo to force the unit into playing the sound - Mike
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for your quick reply Mike. I guess if it doesn't create on OGG file, recording the sound using my PC is all I can do! I was wondering if there is a "Kate" text to speech program out there somewhare? I know of other free text to speech voice progams such as AT&T etc. but I would love to be able to keep KATE.

Thanks once again I really appreciate your expertise!

Mark
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to extract the Text to Speech messages EXCEPT by recording them from the (analogue) line out as Mike suggests.
You can't even get at them "inside the PC" by using Home ,as Home won't use TTS at all.

In fact this was exactly what I did to produce the TTS "Simon" speed camera warnings on the sound collections page, because I wanted to add one of the 'polite' chimes at the front of each one.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the TomTom device with speaker preferences set to use Line Out and connect the 3,5MM audio jack on the TomTom to the PC - you will need a 3,5MM to 3,5MM stereo jack lead, IIRC my 720 was supplied with one of these in the box, if not go to your local Maplins and purchase one of These - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and the other end goes into the "LINE input " jack on your PC's sound card if it has one.
If it doesn't have one, the card will be expecting MICROPHONE level input so the output of the TomTom will be rather loud.
You'll need to adjust both the output level of the TomTom and the recording level of the PC to compensate for this.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK have bought a jack lead now do I insert into my microphone socket on my PC Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say above, try to use the LINE input rather than the MIC input.
Most soundcards have three 3.5mm jack sockets for LINE OUT, LINE IN, and MIC IN. On all modern PCs these are coloured GREEN, BLUE, and RED respectively.

Once you've got it plugged in, you will need some form of recording software. "Sound Recorder" is built into Windows, but it is SO poor, you would be better off finding something free on the web.
"Audacity" is the best free audio recorder/editor, but it may be a little TOO complex for your needs.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dont have these ports I only have headphone and microphone ports on my Compaq laptop pc. I Have tried to record from my tomtom using the jack lead inserted in the mic port but it is very quite and distorted.

Thanks for all your help with this
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the trouble with laptops, they tend to cut down on everything to save space, power, money etc.

What you really need, to do it properly, is a "pad" or "attenuator" to reduce the level. A "DI box" (Direct Inject) is what an engineer would use e.g. to record(say) a guitar or keyboard into a sensitive mic input.
Without anything like that, all you can do is try juggling the levels.

You've probably already tried reducing the volume of the Go, but have you tried adjusting the recording gain on the PC?

It 's in the Windows volume controls page - go to the loudspeaker icon near the clock, right click on it and select "open volume controls".
You should get a window with several level sliders.
But these are all OUTPUT levels. To get to the INPUT levels, you need to go to the Options menu / select Properties / Adjust volume for... Recording. That should give you a new set of sliders, including one for the microphone input.

Reduce the level of that one and if it has an "Advanced" button, check that if there is a "Mic boost" option, it is NOT selected.

If all else fails, tell me what voice and what you want it to say, and I'll record it for you.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy I have sent you a private message! thanks for all your help and advise with this guys.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: