Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL 22 Europe electrical buzz/hiss
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL 22 Europe electrical buzz/hiss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vivant76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: TomTom One XL 22 Europe electrical buzz/hiss Reply with quote

Hi,
I received a new TomTom XL 22 Europe (Traffic edition), all seemed fine when I first used it - everything worked, speaker was good etc. I charged up the unit from the mains using a TomTom USB charger (the type where you get several plug attachments - UK, Europe, USA), but this didn't seem to give any problems.

When I went to turn on the TomTom again (2nd turn on from new), for some reason a noticable electrical 'buzz' and slight hiss was coming from the rear speaker. The system still operated fine - but the buzz would not go away and even after resetting the unit back to the factor defaults it stayed the same. I did notice that the screen brightness affected the noise levels of the buzz (louder the brighter it got).

I've taken it back for a replacement as it certainly didn't make any sort of noise when I first used it (for about an hour or two in my front room).

I'm interested to hear if any other TomTom XL 22 users notice any electrical buzzing or hiss from the speaker when its turned on, are all yours perfectly silent? Mine seemed to be...at first. I'm actually a bit concerned that the charger has done something to it.

Best regards

Aaron
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCD screens need a backlight which is usually powered by a high voltage/frequency 'inverter' circuit. This often causes nasty buzzes or interference when it goes faulty, and some do it (or produce an audible accoustic buzz) even when they haven't go a fault.
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have also recently bought a TomTom XL 22 Europe (Traffic edition) and have heard the buzz. I think it made the noise from new, not very loud but in a quiet location it is audible. If I drove a roller I may notice it on the road but as my works vans has a few rattles anyway I don't notice it in use.

It does seem a fairly good piece of kit but I do find the USB connector in the bottom a pain to get in at times.

I wonder if anyone does a cradle mount yet to fit, never sure what fits what with all the different but similar sounding names.

Phil
Vivant76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got a replacement TomTom 22 back from Amazon. This one is slightly quieter than the original, this one also buzzes slightly similar to the other but not as much. All I can assume is that its normal behaviour - still odd though as the first one was alot quieter when first turned on.

I'm happy though - its not noticeable now and works great in the car!
alstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TomTom XL 30 series from Halfords the other day, and it had a loud high frequency noise comming from it, so I rang TomTom tecnical and they told me that there should be no noise from the unit, and to take it back for an exchang, This I did and the new one ok.

It appears that this is a fault that slips through quality control.

Al

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: