Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MAP UPDATE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MAP UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
26AT111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: MAP UPDATE Reply with quote

Hi to all
i have not been here for a while, so not sure were to put this post
I have an old tomtom go 300, ive not used it for 2 years or more, ive just got another driving job, so will be using the sat nav more now
My question is
Can i get an up to date map, for the tomtom go 300, theres a lot of new roads about now, and i could do with the map
Can anyone help me with this ?
Or do i have to buy a new SD card with maps allready on
Im not sure how i upgrade my map, so any help would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Mark
P.S
Edit once to remove e-mail address - Mike Alder
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can purchase a new map using the TomTom Home software, in order to get the most up to date map you will first have to upgrade the device to the latest software release, again this is done using TomTom Home with the device connected to your PC. This is well detailed on the TT web site, click Here to see the page.
I will remove the e-mail address from your post as it tends to attract spam mail - Mike
26AT111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: map update Reply with quote

Hi
i have downloaded tomtom home, and installed
But this does not reconize my tomtom, waited ages, and nothing
any more help
I think i would be better of buying another SD card with the maps allready updated, can i get a new sd card from anywere?
thanks
mark..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any SD card as long as the read speed is fast enough, avoid the really cheap cards and you should be OK, if you only need UK&ROI mapping then 512MB will be more than adequate, for Western Europe consider a 2GB card. DO NOT purchase an SDHC style card as your device will not use it, these tend to be 4GB and larger. When you get the new card copy all the old card to the new one then perform the updates.

Why won't your Go connect to the PC, quite an easy one, it is too far out of date to be recognised, this is not a problem though, visit Oldboys web site by clicking Here and download the v7,162 update for Go x00 devices and install that. Once that is on the device connect to Home and it will be seen by the software correctly - Mike
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common problem with older devices. You need to get the old version of tomtom home. Either v1.5 or v1.6 i think. Once this is installed, the computer will recognise the tomtom. It will then update the software, not the maps, for free. This will then allow you to install the latest tomtom home software.

Once you have the latest tomtom home installed, you can buy the latest map through it.

Hope this helps.

Steven

iPhone 12
26AT111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: update tomtom 300 Reply with quote

hi
thanks guys for your replys
ive spent the last hour looking for tomtom home 1.5, and 1.6 cant find the download for this anywere
any help
thanks
mark..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, you don't need the older version of Home for this, follow the link to Oldboys site in my previous post, you can install that using Windows Explorer (the detailed instructions come with the download), once that is on your device the latest version of Home will recognise your device - Mike
26AT111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

hi again
i visited oldboys, went to the link, downloaded the rar file,
unzipped it, that left me with 7 files

antitheft (icom)
data chk
install.bif
libaec.so
system
tomtom (icom)
ttsystem

what files need installing ?
How do i install them, and were do i install them to ?
Ive got a lead for my tomtom, that goes to the pc
Any more help
(if i sound thick, thats cos i am)
cheers
mark..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, first thing to do here is backup your existing card to the PC using Windows Explorer, we need this copy just in case things go wrong as it will allow us to recover the device.
To perform the backup have a read of the instructions in This Thread.

With the TomTom connected to your PC it should appear in Windows Explorer as its own drive letter (you should know where this is by now having finished the backup). Copy the 7 files to the drive letter which is your TomTom device, Windows will probably ask about replacing existing file with same name, just click OK each time.

When the files are on the device go to the bottom right corner of your PC and find the icon to shut down a USB device, make sure the TomTom has disconnected from the PC BEFORE you pull the USB lead from the Go,

When it boots up it will be running 7,162 confirm this by pressing the sat strength meter. If you now connect it to your PC and start Home the PC application will see the device allowing map updates and further software updates - Mike
26AT111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: map update Reply with quote

Hi guys
Mike many thanks for your help
im now running version 7,162
Im just installing tomtom home again, see if it works
I'll have a look around
Is it easy to install the new up to date maps ?
and is there a charge for this ?
thanks
mark..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, as you have managed that lot downloading and installing a map should be easy by comparison! When you get Home installed again connect the device and see if wants to update again before moving on to the maps.

You can select either the UK&ROI map for £29:95, or go for the Western Europe Map at £49:95 both these prices are currently discounted by £10, you will probably need a new (larger card) to get either map to fit along with the application, postcodes and voices. The latest map release you can use is the v720 map - Mike
26AT111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: map update Reply with quote

Hi
Mike thanks again for your help
Ive dont the tomtom home, and there was 4 updates, coupld of voices and the blue tooth one, ive installed them so now fully up to date
Ill get another SD card soon, and ill copy all this stuff to the new card, then ill up date the map
Thanks again
Mark...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a successful outcome!

Just for completeness... the new AND old versions of "Home" can be downloaded from the same TomTom webpage:
http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17

v2 is on the left, v1 is on the right.

So Mark COULD have used that route to get updated to a version of software that would get the Go recognised by the 'new' Home, if he'd wanted....
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i thought my suggestion was a more simple one, no copying files etc etc and i know it would have worked. But as you say, it worked using the other method.

iPhone 12
Simon1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Mark, you don't need the older version of Home for this, follow the link to Oldboys site in my previous post, you can install that using Windows Explorer (the detailed instructions come with the download), once that is on your device the latest version of Home will recognise your device - Mike

Hi,
I have a TomTom Go 300 myself and was following the advice here to update mine to the latest version so as to be recognised by TomTom Home.
When I copied the 7 files to my tom tom via windows explorer I was told the disk was full - it had no space to copy the tt system file.
The device then switched off. I then turned it back on and an animation appeared telling me to remove the sd card. This I did, I put it back in, and now nothing happens when I turn it on - just a blank tom tom screen.
I backed up the device beforehand but cant restore the data as the screen is blank and its not seen by windows.
I dont have an SD card reader so am really stumped now
Please can someone advise a newbie as to what I should do as I need to use it at the weekend? Crying or Very sad
Many thanks,
Simon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: