Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 730T Audio via car stereo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 730T Audio via car stereo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex1davies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: TomTom 730T Audio via car stereo Reply with quote

I have just purchased a TomTom 730T. I am generally happy with it but am wondering if anyone can answer the following. I have it set up to play the voice prompts through the car stereo using the FM transmitter. I also connect my iPod to the TomTom with the appropriate lead and have the music from my iPod playing whilst driving. This is also set up to play through the car stereo using the FM transmitter function. I am finding it incredibly irritating that when the TomTom issues a voice prompt or a Speed Camera warning, the music is actually paused whilst the prompt/notification plays, and then resumes. I understand if you are sending the prompts and music via a bluetooth car stereo you can tell it not to pause the music, but apparently you cannot do this using the FM transmitter. Does anyone know a way around this? Are TomTom aware of this and are they likely to release a firmware update to allow the promtps and notifictions to be played "over" the music rather than pausing it?

Thank you.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to get around this problem currently is to use a car Stereo that supports the TomTom Bluetooth Audio, I would like to see the "Don't mute Music" option when using the line out or FM Tx options but it is simply not possible, I have shared this view with TT but we will have to wait and see if the improvement makes it in to any future software upgrade - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE moan to TomTom about this, the only way they will do anything about it is if as many people as possible complain.

Especially if you are using a computer voice, when you are driving in town or along a stretch of road with lots of roundabouts, there's hardly time for any music at all. It's ridiculous!
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how this is a problem this function, surely you would rather want to hear the route instructions rather than the music ?.

Given that the music quality is poor via the fm radio anyways surely you would be better off just plugging the ipod into your radio direct.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maca2 wrote:
I can't see how this is a problem this function, surely you would rather want to hear the route instructions rather than the music ?

You misunderstand...

If I am in my car with a TomTom and with the normal radio on; I am perfectly capable of setting the volume levels so I can hear the radio AND hear instructions from the TomTom when they occur.

If I set up the TomTom so that I STILL have the navigation instructions coming from it's internal speaker and the music sent from the TomTom over FM, then then the scenario should be exactly the same.

But the TomTom insists on muting the FM signal to the radio when it makes an announcement over its own speaker.

I can JUST ABOUT understand their reasoning if I was trying to play BOTH the instructions and music over the internal speaker, but I'm not.

But even in that case, they should be able to arrange it so the music level DIPS rather than pausing the track completely.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what your saying but I still think the way it works now, cutting out music while giving directions, is far better than still playing the music while doing so.

I don't see this as a fault with this unit & can only see it as a help but I suppose you can't please everyone Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maca2 wrote:
I don't see this as a fault with this unit & can only see it as a help but I suppose you can't please everyone Wink
The point though is exactly as you say, "You can't please everyone" - if the option was made available users could set up the device as they want which caters for both camps.
I use Bluetooth HiFi Audio and far prefer the uninterrupted music, better still I also get Traffic information over the car radio while using the Bluetooth connect - it is far better than any other method I have tried in terms of audio quality, but not everyone has the possibility to change the cars stereo - Mike
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the sound quality like when playing music on the TT via blue-tooth to the car stereo ?.

I was thinking of getting a blue tooth CD/radio fitted.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little low in volume but the quality is better than any other method, and I have tried them all, make sure you check out the deck works with the TomTom prior to purchase though as not all BT decks will work with the Nav unit - Mike
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Thanks Mike
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using my friend's GO 730 MP3 function this weekend I really thought it was cool. I thought the FM transmitter was higher quality than a lot of standalone devices sold.
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'pausing' music function is great when listing to an mp3 audio book as if it did not pause the book you would have to rewind it. As you say you cannot please everyone.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it pauses the music, only mutes it. If audiobooks work the same way then you'd keep missing parts of the story.
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play my audio books in mp3 format, like a music track and can confirm that when the Tomtom transmits is instructions over the FM transmitter it does pause the mp3 track. I do not use the audio book feature of tomtom.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go the BT route then test the TT with the head unit first. I spent ages testing units and very little on the market works without the BT H-Fi Fix that Maike found being used on the TT.

Personally, I have a JVC KD-AVX44 and it works fine - just a shame the AVRCP doesn't work between the two units as well!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: