Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v7 maps or v8 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v7 maps or v8 maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitsandpcsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: v7 maps or v8 maps Reply with quote

Hi

I am running tomtom v8 software do i gain anything by going from v7.20 maps to v8.xx maps are there any differences?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from any map details improvements, they include the data which makes the new Advance Lane Guidance and Lane Images viewable.

At present, you can only buy them for x30 devices.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no actual mapping differences between v720 and v805. They are both coded from the same date of raw map data from TeleAtlas (2008.1).
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bitsandpcsuk
The v720 maps have the same data as the new maps. However, there is one difference, if you do upgrade to the new map your wallet will weigh less.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends just bought a 720 and was wondering if you get a free upgrade to v8 map/software in your first month with your one free upgrade or do they only offer you v7 map/software upgrade?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always update to the latest software free of charge - this isn't restricted to just the first month. However, it seems that the v8 software has recently been withdrawn by TomTom.

v8 maps have not yet been released for the 720. If they had been released, then yes, you could update to this version during the first month using the LMG. As you can only have one free update during the month, it's your call as to whether you decide to wait to see whether v8 maps are released during the coming month!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
As you can only have one free update during the month,

I'm not so sure about that. As I understand it, if a new map is released within one month, you're entitled to it.

For example, you buy a new device on 1st, it was factory loaded with map 1, but by the time you buy it, map 2 was issued some months previously and is therefore available when you log in. So you get map 2 with LMG. BUT if they then release map 3 on 20th of the month, that's within one month, so you're entitled to it. There HAVE been cases of this reported on this forum (with x20 devices, some started with map 7.10, upgraded immediately to 7.15, then got 7.20 within their first month).

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But on TT's own site, it's mentioned that the user can get ONE upgrade in the 30-days. In your example, that'd be map 2.

I also saw where some got both map 2 and map 3. My gut tells me that they were the exception. Somewhat the same as it seems more Europeans with 920's could get map ugrades within 30-days for BOTH European and North American maps than North Americans with 920's who usually only got the NA upgraded map and had to threaten to kill the first born of everyone who works, has worked or ever will work at TomTom before the user could also get the upgraded European map.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just between the two of us, I believe the Europeans were able to make their first born type threats far more credible because we live so much closer to TomTom's CEO and family! Twisted Evil

If they WERE exceptions (and I acknowledge we don't hear from everybody, probably ONLY the exceptions), it's worth going for it (and this time tell them you have mates in Europe who will carry out the dastardly deed for you). Cool

Incidentally, I myself went directly from Map 1 to Map 3, because I refused to accept map 2.

carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently been through this wonderful process, and can say good things about TomTom support, although one or two things are a little peculiar.

I rang them a week ago to say that my maps needed upgrading (v. 710 initially) they then said after another call after they had told me to delete and reinstall Home and a few other suggestions, that all I had to do was email my proof of purchase, my LMG sheet from my box, a few screenshots showing what wasn't working correctly in Home.

I then waited, not for long though, and then rang to ask what was ocurring, they told me it had gone up to the next in command and that I could get my maps anytime Friday or it could be Monday, (first gripe large multinational not working weekends, pretty poor).

Waited, and did ring again, this is one of the keys to getting what you want, keep badgering them. After ringing on Monday within an hour my maps were available.

So all in all a, relatively, straightforward process.

I am slightly miffed about the whole Version 8 maps debacle, these things should be released for those who want to purchase them, as they obviously work for the x20 series. Sadly it will lead to people getting their maps dishonestly. I do not condone this approach, but it will happen more often, the longer the time between all the news about these V 8 maps and them finally being released.

Cheers

Carl
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, hoped that would be the case, just a shame they seem to have pulled it at the moment.
I had a 720T for a short while, it came with v7.05, upgraded to v7.10 then i got v7.15 free within my first month.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: