Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Simple To Update Sat Nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple To Update Sat Nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Simple To Update Sat Nav Reply with quote

Hi folks: Newbie technophobe question for you.
Is there such a thing as an easy to update (Maps) sat nave out there. I have a 2+ year old tomtom 700 with maps that are out of date.
The idea of doing the tomtom home/backup/down load thing dose not appeal to me. So! I was wondering is there such a thing as a sat nav you can change the maps memory chip on when it needs updating.
If not I think I will just go for the latest cheapest tomtom one every couple of years.
Any help or advice appreciated.

Regards

rogrog
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any other model of TomTom would have allowed you to swap SD cards over easily and places like Amazon often have maps on SD card. They are usually not the very latest version though. I think I remember seeing v7.10 maps on a card, and there have only been two fairly minor updates (v715 and v720) for your age of model since then.

But the Go700 is a very good device, and it's not THAT hard to do a map download...
Remember we only get to hear about when something goes wrong - there must be thousands of people who manage it with no problems.

... an if our Chief Engineer at work can do it, anyone can! Laughing

There are plenty of people here who will lead you through the process, if you want.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andy-p has said the members on the forum are really helpful and I am sure with there advice they will be able to help you through it stage by stage and to honest it is better to try on the old sat nav until you get confident as if things go pear shape you have not lost much !!

The most important thing is to do a back up in windows explorer and then you will be able to reinstall your software
rogrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of helpful advice. Thank you
The reason I'm a bit loath to get involved with the download side of things is that when I first put the tomtom software on my PC a couple of years ago it all went a bit pear shaped.
I think I may give the backup a try & if that goes OK I may try the down load.
If it all goes pear shaped ‘again’ I can always go for a new tomtom One. I have seen them on sale for £89. Not that much dearer than the download option.
Once again thanks for the advice & offers of support.

Regards

Roger
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to put you off again! Very Happy

If your Go's software is very old too (i.e. if you haven't updated it at all) you will need one or maybe both versions of TomTom's "Home" program (from HERE to update before you get the map.

First, find the software version on your Go (tap the signal strength bars on the display and read the version number on the next page.

If you don't have version 7, you will need to get the old version of Home (from the RIGHT-HAND green box) first. Use that to update the software as far as you can.

Then you'll need the new version of Home (from the LEFT_HAND green box)
to update the software any further and then to buy and download the map.
rogrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, My eyes are beginning to glaze over. It's all getting very scary now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: