Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Maz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Advice needed Reply with quote

Greetings all.

I need to buy an all in one system ASAP.

The speed camera location warning is very important for and a detector like road angel would also be of great benefit

willing to spend around £250 maybe a bit more

please help with recommendations.,

Many Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI and welcome.

Quote:
a detector like road angel

You might want to consider the fact that "detectors" will most probably become illegal later this year. GPS based systems aren't affected.

TomTom and Garmin are the two main makes to consider and you should be able to get a good unit for that price.

Are there any other requirements you have? Bluetooth, Traffic data, widescreen etc

Have you seen any units or are you considering any?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the detector as they will be made illegal later this year, a GPS location warning device will still be OK, but one that can warn due to it receiving Laser/ RF will be illegal so don't waste money on them.

If you want a basic Satnav they can be purchased for under £100 and will run the speed camera database from the site, this will cost £19 for an annual subscription. Even the basic sub £100 units can offer spoken alerts where the device will tell you of the type and speed rating as you approach the camera. Mobiles are also covered, although for these you get a warning of where mobile cameras are known to operate from - better safe than sorry! - Mike
Mr_Maz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic Data and bluetooth would be good, so yes to them

Not to fussed about widescreen.

if laser detectors are going to become illegal, what happens if you already own one?

and how can they tell if you are using one as part of your Sat-nav?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if laser detectors are going to become illegal, what happens if you already own one?

It'll become illegal to use it. Owning it might be a different story but you don't want to be caught using it.

Quote:

If you get pulled the officer would probably be quiet knowledgeable on these things and would probably spot it. They tend to have some sort of sensor on a wire so can be quite obvious..
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Garmin the Traffic models generally have a T in the name. You can see all the models here and you can compare them.

For TomTom start here with their Product Selector. Select the features you want to narrow down the selection.

Pop back with any questions....

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr_Maz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

It'll become illegal to use it. Owning it might be a different story but you don't want to be caught using it.

Quote:

If you get pulled the officer would probably be quiet knowledgeable on these things and would probably spot it. They tend to have some sort of sensor on a wire so can be quite obvious..

Ahh thanks Paul.

So which Sat Nav would you recommend?

I do a lot of driving, motorways and A roads, and i hate traffic jams so if the traffic data thing works out alternative routes, then that is a must feature.

Thanks
Mr_Maz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
With Garmin the Traffic models generally have a T in the name. You can see all the models here and you can compare them.

For TomTom start here with their Product Selector. Select the features you want to narrow down the selection.

Pop back with any questions....

cheers

with the Garmin's is the "FM TMC traffic receiver " the same as the standard traffic report you get over the radio or something specific?

I had the Traffic Master in a hire car for a few months and liked the way that sent the info directly to the sat-nav and gave me the option to re-route.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Personally i prefer Garmin but my next Sat Nav will be a TomTom. The Garmin 2xx models are supposed to be quiet good but no extras. The 3xx and 6xx are better with more features. The 7xx series offers even more. For £250 you can probably get the Garmin Nuvi 710 (with Traffic, UK mapping) or the 760 (with Traffic, Europe Mapping & Text To Speech).

TomTom I'm not sure.

Quote:
with the Garmins is the "FM TMC traffic receiver " the same as the standard traffic report you get over the radio or something specific?

Basically it add information to the map and then warns you of any traffic problems and delays ahead. It'll also give you the option of routing around it. Just like you said

Quote:
I had the Traffic Master in a hire car for a few months and liked the way that sent the info directly to the sat-nav and gave me the option to re-route.

However be aware that the TMC signal in the UK is weak in places and it can disappear right at the wrong time. Secondly the information isn't always as 100% as you might like. I see it as an additional feature. Worked well on Sunday but i have had trouble with it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Personally i prefer Garmin but my next Sat Nav will be a TomTom.

Very interesting Paul....
Just up for a change, or do you know something we don't? Very Happy

BTW... The TomToms with Traffic are also designated with a "T" after the model number.

I would recommend the TT Go530 or 730 (and their "T" variants) depending on whether you need just the UK or full European mapping. The very slightly older 520 and 720 models are identical hardware and can be picked up quite cheaply too.

A very basic "no frills" model is the "One" or "One XL" but be careful with these as there are MANY different versions with similar or identical names. I saw a display in PC World the other day where they were completely muddled up! If you want to try one of those, come back for more details.
Mr_Maz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I like the look of the Tom Tom Go 730T and the Garmin nüvi® 760T.

good choices??

which one would you recommend?

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just up for a change, or do you know something we don't?

Nothing exciting to be honest. Just fancy a change. Garmins support used to be really good and now it's really slipping and unless garmin do some sort of IQ Route thing.......

Quote:
OK I like the look of the Tom Tom Go 730T and the Garmin nüvi® 760T.

Well i have the 760T and i'm pleased with it. Couple of issues (Phone Home bug and latest Firmware causes my Nuvi to crash Shocked ) but no major problems...
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The refresh rate and the layout of the mapping to me always seem better on the Tomtom range and to Tomtoms credit they have always updated older sat navs with the current software release .

At the moment map share is a bit of a gimmick but this may change in the future .

Both Garmin and Tomtom have there good points but I myself would go for a Tomtom.

I hope I do not start a Tomtom v Garmin war in this thread??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the thread will degenerate into a TT vs Garmin war but each user has their own specific thoughts on a device and what they expect from a device and what they are happy with.

I have a Garmin Nuvi and its a great device at what it does, but I don't like the interface/ menu and the maps look childlike as they are drawn on the screen, roundabouts are my main hate, the newer units might be better though.

TomTom have a credible range which work very well but there are issues with mobile phones, you should check whether your current/ future (if about to change) handset will work with the devices - not all do.

What advice I would offer is to take a trip to your local Halfords or similar and try the units out first hand, this way you will soon decide which display you like, if you have further questions about specific manufacturers and models then ask on here for some additional advice, don't go just off what the sales person is telling you - some are very good at offering advice, others are very good at selling devices - some are useless at both - Mike
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd repeat the above advice from Mike and visit a dealer where you might be able to try different devices and see which might best suit your preferences.

The TomTom 730T was mentioned earlier in this thread. What might be worth bearing in mind is that the x30 range has recently been launched and is relatively new, whereas the x20 range is pretty much identical, although the 'out of the box' maps would be v7 rather than v8.

Since the x20 range is being superseded with the x30 range, there may be scope for finding a bargain - but bear in mind the cost of v8 maps for a 720 (when/if they are released for the x20 range) to bring up to a 730 if v8 maps a released outside the 30 day Latest Map Guarantee period.

Also, shop around for the price difference between either x20 & x20T or x30 & x30T and bear in mind that a TomTom traffic receiver may be bought for around £25.

I hope that doesn't throw a spanner in the works, but it might give you something else to think about

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: