Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Improving the sound from TT720?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Improving the sound from TT720?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Improving the sound from TT720? Reply with quote

Has anyone come up with a good solution for using the line-out facility on the x20 series using an additional auxilary speaker?
I've searched through the forums and come across quite a lot about using FM-out and bluetooth, but not too much on line-out.
My car stereo is a built-in (Citroen) unit without a line-in socket or bluetooth, and so I don't really want go chopping the dash about, but it occurs to me that I could put another small speaker (ipod or PC?) somewhere else in the car, and hardwire it from the line-out on the 720, this should get round the limitations of the inbuilt speaker.
However, does the line-out need to go through some kind of receiver i.e. radio, to produce the sound?
I mainly want to use this for better quality sound when using the bluetooth phone, so I guess my next question is; will the phone output through the line-out socket?
Or is there any other reason why this won't work?
I am currently switching between FM output and the standard speaker, with mixed results, but would like a stable, solid solution, particularly for the phone.
Thanks for any advice.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find some 12V DC powered active speakers then these will work fine with the line out connector on your TomTom, if you get interference from the setup consider fitting a "Ground loop issolator" between the two devices such as This unit.

As for the phone audio it will only come from the device while using it as handsfree, there are no tricks to route the audio out of any other method - forget this method - if phone audio is important to you consider a Parrot kit rather than using the TT - Mike
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving the sound from TT720? Reply with quote

agusta wrote:
Has anyone come up with a good solution for using the line-out facility on the x20 series using an additional auxilary speaker?
I've searched through the forums and come across quite a lot about using FM-out and bluetooth, but not too much on line-out.
My car stereo is a built-in (Citroen) unit without a line-in socket or bluetooth, and so I don't really want go chopping the dash about, but it occurs to me that I could put another small speaker (ipod or PC?) somewhere else in the car, and hardwire it from the line-out on the 720, this should get round the limitations of the inbuilt speaker.
However, does the line-out need to go through some kind of receiver i.e. radio, to produce the sound?
I mainly want to use this for better quality sound when using the bluetooth phone, so I guess my next question is; will the phone output through the line-out socket?
Or is there any other reason why this won't work?
I am currently switching between FM output and the standard speaker, with mixed results, but would like a stable, solid solution, particularly for the phone.
Thanks for any advice.

Hi,
I have used the line out to the Aux In on my Passat.
It works just as you'd expect....Very well!
However, after a while, the output becomes only a tad more tedious than the muppets on Radio One!
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As for the phone audio it will only come from the device while using it as handsfree, there are no tricks to route the audio out of any other method - forget this method - if phone audio is important to you consider a Parrot kit rather than using the TT - Mike

Thanks for that Mike; I never for one moment thought that the audio would be split into 3 (nav instructions etc/music & media/phone), and even if I had I wouldn't have imagined that they would give us the ability to output 2 of them to external speakers, but not the phone - how odd!
I guess eventually someone handy with a soldering iron will have the back off and figure out how to extract the phone audio, but until then I will have to find the absolute optimum place to mount the unit in the car.
I did come across some car specific mounts recently but I can't remember where, so it's back to Google.......
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agusta wrote:
I guess eventually someone handy with a soldering iron will have the back off and figure out how to extract the phone audio
Mike has power screwdrivers with interchangeable bits instead of some of his fingers and breaths soldering power to keep his beer warm. Don't hold your breath waiting for it, TomTom have made a good job of disallowing this logical feature.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might actually be quite easy to accomplish as the internal speaker is wired from a plug on the main PCB, all we need to work out is where to locate another audio output socket on the device - such intrusion will invalidate any warranty, but it will allow phone audio output to an external device - It was the comment from "agusta" that made me have a re-think to this issue, TomTom have denied us a software route so hardware modification might be the answer.

If you have never seen the inside of an x20 unit you have now, and they are easy to take apart to this level, just remember doing this will remove any warranty claim you might have with the device should it fail - Mike
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is the volume considerably less from the unit speaker during a phone call than it is for navigation instructions? I have volume set to max, and I am sure the nav instructions are louder - it would seem a strange thing for them to do (deliberately) if this is the case.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are making a call via the TomTom tap the lower left corner of the screen and turn the volume up to 100% the phone volume is seperate to the others and the only way to adjust it is while making/ receiving a call, quite often it is set to a much lower level than what the device is capable of delivering - Mike
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I found (and adjusted) that at about the same time as you posted your reply (sorry, I should have checked before posting). I'll see if that makes a difference tomorrow.
By the way, any idea if Tomtom continually update the compatibility of different phones? At the moment my iphone 3g will make and receive phone calls, but not SMS messages as far as I can make out. So, although this is not a huge problem, I wondered if this is likely to change at any time in the future with software upgrades

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: