Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Routeplanner vs. Major European roads help needed!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Routeplanner vs. Major European roads help needed!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raboyme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Routeplanner vs. Major European roads help needed!!!! Reply with quote

Hello!

Can someone help me, and tell me is there any differense between TomTom RoutePlanner and "Major Roads Europe"(included with Tom Tom 3)?

What Maps are included with the Major roads Europe in TomTom 3? (I don't mean the map of one area I can choose when I buy the software).

What maps are included i the TomTom RoutePlanner package? On the TomTom site is also says that maps 5 segments are directly downloadable? Do I get them in the package, or do I have to buy and download them separately?

How big is the mapcoverage from Finland in TomTom Routeplanner and Major roads of Europe?

Roy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route planner is (very) old software, and no longer actively supported. Navigator has pretty decent coverage of Finland already in version 2. The MajorRoads Europe do only make sense for you when you travel from Finland to other western European countries (read:Sweden :-) ) . You don't need them for travel within Finland.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
raboyme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.

Somewhere on TomTom sites they say, that now RoutePlanner or Major roads Europe (are they the same thing???) now includes roads from Czech and Slovakia. Thats new stuff. Maybe they also have upgraded Finland???

I know that coverage of Finland in the Navigator maps is only for southern parts, but that's better than nothing;)

Roy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, RoutePlanner and MRE are not the same thing. MRE is just another map to be used with Navigator.

In some respect the old map coverage of RoutePlanner is similiar to the MRE, (in that it only includes the highest level roads). And yes, you are right, the Routeplanner also had some rudimentary coverage of eastern Europe. Shamefully Navigator doesn't yet have maps for these countries. I am hopeful this will change pretty soon - Destinator already covers Hungary, and other programs have Czech republic covered . Go to www.kkoeniger.at for an overview

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
raboyme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this information you gave me was good. I also have a respond, that TomTom Routeplanners maps are from 2002.

I'm new here, and don't have so much knowledge of all softwares, but I'm going to buy TomTom 3 Navigator with D,A & CH maps in to start with. (It's good for me when travelling in Europe)

If I drive trough Sweden and Denmark, I think that TomTom RoutePlanner will be good also to purchase? (It's not expencive, and it's enough map information of those countries for me in the beginning).
Then I also get the maps From Czech, and maybe something from Finland.

Later I can buy the whole West-European maps package, and get Scandinavia, Benelux and France etc. there.

Does it sound good, or should I do different.

Is there for example some other cheap map package over major roads like Tom Tom Routeplanner?

Roy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapopolis also offers this feature, and it is much cheaper than TomTom. Has a different level of usability though...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: