Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One V3 - deleting my "add new speed cam" ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One V3 - deleting my "add new speed cam" ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: TomTom One V3 - deleting my "add new speed cam" ?? Reply with quote

Hello, just got the ONE Edition 3 yesterday and apart from having to take the first unit back for a replacement (plugged it into the PC, did an upgrade using TT Home, and the thing never switched on again ! - wouldn't be recognised as a drive on my PC either, charged it for 4 hours but unit dead!). Anyway, that's by the by.

Got my second unit today and was having a little play around with it to try out the new "Add a speedcam" facility. I pressed the button to add a speedcam (thinking there would be a way to later delete this made up camera location), but i now cannot get rid of it !!!!

How do i delete a speed camera which i have added myself whilst driving (using the "add speedcam" button) ?

Best Regards,
Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there is no obvious way to delete a camera you've added by accident! (another reason why the TomTom database is so poor, compared to the PGPSW one?)

I remember this being mentioned once before, and someone did have a solution of sorts, but for once I can't think of the right terms to put into "search" to find it.

I think it might have been that you had to actually go back to the same location and then you got the opportunity to "edit" it away. Pretty pathetic and shows a lack of thought by TT again.

The other way is to delete the "reported safety cameras.ov2" file (in your named map folder) if you don't mind getting rid of ALL your reported cameras.
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy ! - thought no one was gonna reply there !.

I don't really want to hook the unit up to my PC after all the problems it gave me the other night when i did it !!! - it basically rendered the unit dead ! - couldn't switch it on, even after a full charge. Had to take that one back and get a replacement!

I cannot for the life of me believe that TomTom would forget to add such a basic and blatantly obvious feature !!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you TomTom !

Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are going to have to overcome your fear and get connected!!

How else are you going to make the ALL-IMPORTANT Windows Explorer backup?

So long as you ALWAYS use "safely remove hardware", next to the PC clock, before you unplug the TT (and obviously don't go around deleting files without knowing what they are!) then you should be fine.

Make sure yoou delete that file BEFORE you run TT Home though, otherwise it will send that report back to TT before you get a chance to stop it! (Then I guess you'll have a camera in your living room? Laughing )
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud !, Cheers Andy, i didn't actually delete anything off the original TT One which broke, all i did was an update and even if i had done a backup it would have been useless because the PC didn't even recognise it when plugged in and the unit wouldn't switch on !.

Just fearful of plugging it in while it's working fine, i'm a great believer in "if it's not broke then don't fix it" ! - a little old fashioned, i know, but after the hassle i went through on Wednesday night trying to fix it, i don't think anyone would blame me !!

Cheers !

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Then I guess you'll have a camera in your living room? Laughing
It will only be another one to add to the family though, they won't bother to check it and at some point it will probably be added to their database.

Andy15 (too many Andy's in this post) perhaps it is time you considered the database from this site instead of relying on poor data - your choice entirely but the TT offering is pathetic in comparison from what I have experienced, and I do try their database from time to time to make a quantifiable judgement - Mike
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike !

Which database are we talking about from this site ?, pardon my ignorance but i haven't used the site for a very long time and not sure which database you're referring to ?

Best Regards,
Andrew
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy15star wrote:
Which database are we talking about from this site ?, pardon my ignorance but i haven't used the site for a very long time and not sure which database you're referring to ?

The Speed Camera database from Pocket GPS World, it has far more categories and is considerably more accurate than the TT offering. We also have locations where Mobiles camera traps are known to operate from. Couple this to the spoken alert files and you can get full spoken warnings as you approach a camera where the device will announce "Warning GATSO ahead, speed limit is 30 Miles Per Hour" click the large yellow square top left of this page for more details - Mike
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right. I dont think i can do that, it says "To download the latest version of the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database you need to be a subcribed user".

I think i need to be a subscriber and not just a member ?

Best Regards,
Andrew
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think i need to be a subscriber and not just a member ?

Yes. Worth having a look at this thread if you are considering.
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul, will definitely look into it. It does seem worth it's weight in gold!

Best Regards,
Andrew
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just found out the answer to my original post. I was on about how you delete a user input speedcam, well as you drive past it again you press the "add camera" button and it gives you the option to delete it !.

I'm sure someone did mention this so thanks to them, it does indeed work !

Best Regards,
Andy
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy15star wrote:
Laughing Out Loud !, Cheers Andy, i didn't actually delete anything off the original TT One which broke, all i did was an update and even if i had done a backup it would have been useless because the PC didn't even recognise it when plugged in and the unit wouldn't switch on !.

Just fearful of plugging it in while it's working fine, I'm a great believer in "if it's not broke then don't fix it" ! - a little old fashioned, i know, but after the hassle i went through on Wednesday night trying to fix it, i don't think anyone would blame me !!

Cheers !

Andy

I do understand your reluctance to connect up to Tomtom home but by not doing so you are missing out many of the advantages a sat nav has to offer such as software and map updates and using alternative speed camera data bases

As long as you use the correct disconnect procedure and back up the device in windows explorer you will be fine .

The disconnect procedure which I use is I click the disconnect device tab in Tomtom home and then wait until the sat nav asks again " do you wish to connect to the computer " I then select no and wait until the map appears again and then turn off !! the important thing is to allow Tomtom home time to finish what it was doing .

When I purchased my Tomtom the first week I compared the Tomtom safety camera data base with the pockect GPS and to be honest the Pocket gps was so much better I just did not have any confidence that the Tomtom one was accurate and all the cameras were in there
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers John ! - will give it a go when i pluck up the courage to connect it !!

Best Regards,
Andy Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEFORE you connect your TomTom to the PC, start up Home (from the normal Windows Start menu).
Then go into the Tools menu and un-tick the first option in startup preferences. This will stop Home automatically looking for all and any updates, giving you more control.

I un-tick the second one too - I don't see why Home should be running in the background EVERY time I turn on my PC!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: