Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with acquiring Satellites.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with acquiring Satellites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RRconway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Problem with acquiring Satellites. Reply with quote

Hi all,
Please help!!!!
Sorry in advance for the long post but the more info the better right? Wink
I used my NUVI 300 yesterday and let it initialize outside my home location which all worked fine.
I then asked it to navigate to the local shopping center, again all ok.
We set off and everything was ok, I switched to the Current Route Page by pressing on the Text Bar on the Map page. Due to traffic I knew was locally I ignored the first instruction to turn left and waited for it to re-calculate. I know that the Current Route Page does not always update after a re-calculation so was expecting to have to go back to the Map page and re-enter the Current Route Page.
I couldn't do this immediately but after 4 or 5 minutes was able to do so. It was then I realised the unit had lost the satellites and I had the message 'Acquiring Satellites', which it never managed to do.
Despite trying to acquire the satellites later at home and outside for a considerable amount of time it never did.
I have tried resetting the unit and clearing all users data and restoring all the settings.
With the aerial closed the satellite display shows all Satellites in green with the blue 'strength' bars alongside.
With the aerial open they all grey out lose their numbers and there are no 'strength' bars.
I am running Software Version 5.30.
Has anyone got any ideas? or will I have to send the unit back to Garmin and if so how long does that normally take?
Many thanks in advance,
Jeff. Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Quote:
With the aerial closed the satellite display shows all Satellites in green with the blue 'strength' bars alongside.
With the aerial open they all grey out lose their numbers and there are no 'strength' bars.

I take it this is the Satellite View screen which you get to by pressing the Signal Strength Bars for a few seconds?

The reason for this is because with the antenna down you are in a simulated satellite mode so the satellites on the display are not real. However when you extend the antenna the Nuvi starts to read the signal from the real satellites. It takes time to pick up the signal depending on the last time you used the unit and your location, hence they are grey at first.

I would try a reset and then take the unit out into the open, flip up the antenna and wait for it to get a good signal lock. This might take 5-10 minutes. Anywhere away from buildings is a good place - car park, garden etc. Don't do anything. Just remain stationary and let it pick up the signal.

If that doesn't work after say 20-30 minutes then you might have to consider contacting Garmin.
RRconway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply!
PaulB2005 wrote:

I would try a reset and then take the unit out into the open, flip up the antenna and wait for it to get a good signal lock. This might take 5-10 minutes. Anywhere away from buildings is a good place - car park, garden etc. Don't do anything. Just remain stationary and let it pick up the signal.

Unfortunately I have already tried that to no avail. Crying or Very sad
I was looking at the Garmin site when you replied and they suggest the software may need updating. They are suggesting using something called Webupdater?, but whilst looking around the internet for solutions to my problem some people claim to have had problems after using this.
Have you any experience of this? Do you think it would be a good idea?
Thanks,
Jeff.

Last edited by RRconway on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was going to be my next suggestion.

WebUpdater Click Here is simple to use. I admit i did have problems with it a couple of years ago with my i3, but I've never had a problem with the Nuvi and WebUpdater.

It's quite straight forward to use. I can't see what the latest firmware is for your unit so i can't confirm if there is a newer firmware or not.
RRconway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,
I've just downloaded it so will give it a go!!!! Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
I suppose its not working now so what have I got to lose????
Keep your fingers crossed!!!!
Toonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with mine. Won't locate satellites, I've tried it on the move or stationary, to no avail. I have contacted Garmin and it is now en route to them for a repair. I'll let you know what the result is.
By the way, I've bought a tom tom in the meantime as I need one for my work, it's head and shoulders better than the garmin. So, when the garmin comes back it's going straight on ebay.
RRconway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toonster,
I downloaded the latest update for my Garmin and then sat outside with it for well over an hour and nothing happened. That was Sunday night so on Monday I phoned Garmin who said as it was out of warranty they would replace it for £87 inc of VAT. So there I was about to send it to them and just for the hell of it I turned it on on my way home from work and after about 20 mins or so it sprang into life for a few minutes then died again then came to life again. It did this for about 40 mins during the journey each time lasting longer and longer and now its working all the time, (touch wood!!!!).
With regard to the TOMTOM, when I was looking for the Garmin originally I went into Halfords twice to have a play and decide which to buy, both times seperate sales staff told me that they were reguarly getting TOMTOMs returned that had locked up or died, somewhere in the region of 12 a week, which apparently was due to TOMTOM quality going down as they tried to keep up with demand after their initial success. I'm not trying to worry you but just a friendly warning Smile
Anyway thanks for the reply and good luck with whichever one you keep!!!!
P.S
Thanks for your help Paul!!!! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: