Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Configuring 204s receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuring 204s receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying_dutchman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Configuring 204s receiver Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently bought a Haicom 204S receiver for one of my projects (GPS logger). The reason for selecting this receiver was the ability to configure the receiver that it only sends the NMEA messages you need and that this receiver is able to operate in trickle power mode.

But the manual only says that it is possible to configure this receiver but neglecs to tell you how. Sad

Does anybody has a idea how to configure this receiver.
You're help is very much appreciated.

Marco
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried throwing the Emtac Crux_View program at it? Should work since it seems to be a SiRF chipset

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
flying_dutchman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lutz,

Thank you for the hint. I think it's working. I changed some NMEA settings and these changes were accepted and kept after power-off / power-on. For the trickle power I'm not sure, I have to measure the current one of these days.
I noticed that, if I restart the Crux View program, the changed values are not read back by the program although they are different as stated by the program.

Anyway thanks a lot for the help.
flying_dutchman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got the time to measure the current.
Unfortunatly the current is the same in trickle power and continoues mode. Crying or Very sad

Is there somebody out there able to tell me how to operate this receiver in trickle power mode, this is essential for my project !!

Marco
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to use an oscilloscope to measure that. The trickle mode is initiated every second, and your measuring instrument may just not be good enough for that.

I think a better way to measure this is to fully charge the receiver, and then let it run - with a datalogger attached so you see when the receiver stopped sending data) - Do this both in full and in trickle mode and you can see the difference in battery run time

another interesting aspect of trickle mode is that it potentially means your signal is weaker (less sats). The ideal test would be to run two receivers side by side, one in full mode, one in trickle mode, and compare both their battery life and their sat statistics.

And then you can start varying the trickle mode window from 200 ms per second up and down and investigate the influene of that. Easily keeps you busy for a few months...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
flying_dutchman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz thank you for all the good ideas.

I will certainly use a some off them.
The difficulty was not to measure the current (a oscilloscope and a small resistor will do), but the receiver would not go into trickle powermode with the crux view program.
After a while I decided to use the receiver in Sirf mode (I was reluctant to try this because I was not sure if I would get the receiver back into NMEA)
And in Sirf mode I could change the powermode to trickle, and when I change back to NMEA it stay's in trickle power mode.
So the problem is solved for me. (average current approx. 35 mAh)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: