Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using Garmin POI Downloader
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Garmin POI Downloader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
millsie1951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Using Garmin POI Downloader Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a first time user. I have downloaded and extracted the single file database. Then connected my nuvi sat nav. Fired up the garmin poi loader and pointed it at the folder containing the download. In double quick time I got a message saying update successful and around 24000 poi downloaded. Is that all I need to do - I read some where about activation though this was in relation to a Tom Tom system.

Is there anyway of checking that my Nuvi now has all latest database.

Secondly am I right in thinking that because I downloaded the single database I will only get a bleep warning but no indication of the applicable speed limit?

Thanks for any help Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garmin devices will 'read' the speed data from within the file so you will get the appropriate speed warning. however, you will NOT be told the camera type. i.e. all cameras will have the 'gatso' icon which can cause problems when you are warned of a mobile site!

i would recommend the "consolidated by type" download which will give you both the speed warnings as well as shw the icon for correct camera type.

in terms of 'activation' just make sure that you have "custom poi" selected under settings / proximity alerts.

MaFt
millsie1951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your advice - have now downloaded the consolidated file, extracted and loaded - I think to my Garmin Sat Nav.

When I look in the poi folder stored in the unit it shows:

1. a UKcyclops uni unl file
2 a UKcyclops GPI file
3 a poi gpi GPI file which was created in August 2007 and updated today.

Am I right in thinking that 3 above is the newly downloaded data base from Pocket GPS and that 1 and 2 are the original data files provided by Garmin with the unit when bought last year?

Should 1 and 2 be deleted to prevent any conflicts or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick!?

Really am after reassurance that I have successfully completed download and that it should work.

Thanks very much for any help. Smile
millsie1951
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt thanks for your earlier reply and please see my post in response.

I also meant to ask where I can check the "activation" settings to which you refer - dont see these in the POI loader. It was set to express settings which where automatic and recomended. Couldnt see the setting which you mentioned when attempting to enter setting manually.

Any further help much appreciated Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the nuvi's settings is an option for 'proximity alerts' - you may need to scroll down in the settings to see this.

deselect the garmin cyclops database and make sure custom poi is selected.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: