Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which GPS for IPAQ and newbie questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which GPS for IPAQ and newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Which GPS for IPAQ and newbie questions Reply with quote

I have the ipaq 5500, and I have the tomtom software, but no hardware, I have seen these two gps recievers on ebay, which of these is the best, or are there better for the price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3730&item=2796185369&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15005&item=3085779224&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

My Ipaq has built in bluetooth, but I don't see the advantage of getting bluetooth gps over wired for my needs, as I only plan to use this in my car. As the gps device will be powered from the car, it will have a cable going to it anyway, so what advantage would bluetooth give me?

Also, how loud of the voice prompts from tomtom, is the speaker in the ipaq loud enough to hear above road noise?
Thanks in advance for your comments
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the advantage of Bluetooth would be the ability to use it with any PPC/PDA you choose (that supports Bluetooth), good when the time comes to change to a newer model.

It's down to personal preference and your specific needs.

I'm sure others will give their advantages/disadvantages.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said...
Although you state you have no plans to use it outside the vehicle, with Bluetooth you will have the option available to you if you do decide to use it outside the car as it will have its own power.

With a wired mouse you will not be able to.
Jimster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: maybe I should look at bluetooth Reply with quote

maybe i should also think about bluetooth then. Can anyone recomend one to me, either online or on ebay?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be better studying the comparison tables and GPS reviews and then shortlisting a couple of wired receivers and Bluetooth receivers.

Some people think cabled GPS Receivers are the best, some think CF GPS are the best because it gives them the freedom to move away from the car (not suitable for a 5550), others think Bluetooth is the best as it gives total freedom.

It is really down to your needs, your requirements and your pocket.
I use a Navman 4400 BT receiver which has the added advantage of using standard AAA cells over a built-in battery.
Jimster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: cnat find any reviews on them Reply with quote

I can't find these two exact models on any reveiws, which of the two is the better?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: