Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please - is drag and drop possible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please - is drag and drop possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bristles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Help please - is drag and drop possible? Reply with quote

Hello, This may sound like a dumb question but can you drag and drop a point on the map? in other words, once you have put a post code in and it shows its destination can you move its location to another part of the map and store it there so that when you put the post code in again it will register where you have moved it to, do TomTom have this facility? thanks in anticipation.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately not. the search just uses the data from within the maps which cannot be edited.

the best way would be to save a favourite from the point on the map then whenever you navigate to the favourite it will take you there

MaFt
Bristles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
unfortunately not. the search just uses the data from within the maps which cannot be edited.

the best way would be to save a favourite from the point on the map then whenever you navigate to the favourite it will take you there

MaFt

Many thanks indeed for your reply and also your very rapid response.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you store the revised location as a POI or Favourite it is possible, but you would have to remember to navigate to the stored location rather than the postcode.

The MapShare system employed by TomTom does allow for some changes to be available directly on the device, all changes are automatically reported back to TomTom for possible inclusion within future map releases, so you can make alterations to the map data, but not all will the available to see day 01 - Mike
Bristles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you store the revised location as a POI or Favourite it is possible, but you would have to remember to navigate to the stored location rather than the postcode.

The MapShare system employed by TomTom does allow for some changes to be available directly on the device, all changes are automatically reported back to TomTom for possible inclusion within future map releases, so you can make alterations to the map data, but not all will the available to see day 01 - Mike

Many thanks Mike,

The problem my stepson has is that he visits farms all day every day and it can be many month's before he goes back to the same farm, he is given a post code for that farm and obviously he is guided to that farm. But he may have to access a particular part of the farm through a gate 150/200 yards away, what he wanted to do was to set the post code to the spot where the gate is so it takes him to the gate and not the farm house. After month's and with hundred's and hundred's of farm's he wouldn't remember where each gate is for every farm. I told him that the only way that I know to pin point a spot would be to use the co-ordinates at the gate and name it with the post code and save it in his favourites. Then next time he goes to favourites and selects the saved post code it will take him to the co-ordinates that he saved to that post code. I can do this on my Garmin so I presume that he can do it on his Tom Tom
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a custom POI category and give it a name (My Farms), within this POI category store the various locations giving them a name of the actual postcode (if a few farms are close together this won't work too well).

Next time you need to navigate to the same place simply Nav To/ POI and follow the options to locate the POI file and resultant locations stored by postcode index (POI file name) - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bristles wrote:
I told him that the only way that I know to pin point a spot would be to use the co-ordinates at the gate and name it with the post code and save it in his favourites.
Favourites can only store 24 locations.

As Mike said, create a POI Category and you can have thousands of locations, limited only by the amount of storage memory there is on the Device.

6000 locations would be a file of about 250KB, so the files are relatively small.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Bristles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Bristles wrote:
I told him that the only way that I know to pin point a spot would be to use the co-ordinates at the gate and name it with the post code and save it in his favourites.
Favourites can only store 24 locations.

As Mike said, create a POI Category and you can have thousands of locations, limited only by the amount of storage memory there is on the Device.

6000 locations would be a file of about 250KB, so the files are relatively small.

Thank you Mike & Richard, that is extremely helpful, ATB.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: