Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How hard can it be?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How hard can it be?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: How hard can it be?! Reply with quote

I've been looking to replace my trusty Go300 with something a bit more handbag-friendly, and because I know the TomTom interface have pretty much settled on a TT, but have got stuck at that point. I dont want to commit the money needed for the x30 range, so its either a 520, 720, 720T, or a 920. But try as I might, I cant find a feature comparison among all those so I can see which one suits me best! I have found this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131112/compare_specs but that appears to be rubbish - some of the specs seem higher on the smaller units than the bigger one, etc. I've searched this sites 'reviews' too, but that only seems to show the 920. Can someone point me at something to help please? Oh, and if anyones interested in a nice G0300... Razz
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you need?

The 520 is single country only i.e. UK, the 720 is Western Europe and the 920 is Western Europe and US/Canada and adds a remote control and gysroscope.

There is also the new ONE models, the ONE and XL. Both are available in single country or Western Europe variants. The XL is the wide screen version. These are especially 'handbag' friendly with even the mount being designed to fold flat. See here.

For all models the 'T' variant adds a TMC Receiver for traffic reports.
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats made it even worse! Now you've added another two possibilities to my list. Surely somewhere there's a table of all the devices with which one has which features, otherwise how the hell do TomTom reckon they can sell the damn things!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well TomTom do sell a few units every year so i think it's easier than you're making it.

You haven't mentioned if you looked at TomToms website! You could try their Product Selector here to help narrow down your selection. Once you've selected the options you want relevant models will stay lit on the right. Then select upto 4 and click Compare...

Or you can view the entire range here
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mikedean2"]Thats made it even worse! Now you've added another two possibilities to my list. Surely somewhere there's a table of all the devices with which one has which features, otherwise how the hell do TomTom reckon they can sell the damn things![/quote

http://www.tomtom.com/products/chart.php?Lid=1&selector=true

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Well TomTom do sell a few units every year so i think it's easier than you're making it.

Shocked Sorry, didn't realise I was thicker than most! Still, got there in the end, and I think the 720T is the one for me. Is this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131112/compare_specs the best price currently for that unit - £215, or do you know of a cheaper place for it? Having been reading the thread about map updates on the 720 while I was browsing here, what version of maps should I expect to be on a brand new 720?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Halfords web site as they were doing a bank holiday special on the 720T units, the map installed will probably be v710 or possibly v715 but the new map guarantee will sort you out with the latest v720 map which is currently the latest release.
You will get the update via TomTom Home software installed on your PC, I would also suggest you back up the device BEFORE doing anything like updates - Mike
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw the TV advert so had a browse - unfortunately the only 'half-price' offers were on some bit of tat I'd never heard of and they only managed a tenner off the 720T, bringing it down to a mere 249 smackers! Having seen the saga of map versions I've decided I dont want to buy from the 'bay and then have nowhere to return it to when I cant get maps sorted, so its 'genuine' retailers only. Spent all day researching prices, and cant come up with anything close to the one above at 215.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today Halfords are selling the 720T for £249.99 but Handtec are offering it at £217.26. It seems to have disappeared from ebuyer, so perhaps they have sold out. I doubt if they will get any more in, because it has been replaced by the 730T. Prices are varying all over the place, so you have to check daily
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just occurred to me - are these things exactly the same across Europe? I'm in France for a couple of days this week, so if its cheaper in Auchan or Carrefour, etc. can I buy it from there and have it work here okay? Not that thats likely, given the euro against the pound of late, but hey ho, you never know!
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedean2 wrote:
Yeah I saw the TV advert so had a browse - unfortunately the only 'half-price' offers were on some bit of tat I'd never heard of and they only managed a tenner off the 720T, bringing it down to a mere 249 smackers! Having seen the saga of map versions I've decided I dont want to buy from the 'bay and then have nowhere to return it to when I cant get maps sorted, so its 'genuine' retailers only. Spent all day researching prices, and cant come up with anything close to the one above at 215.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131112

mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forky wrote:

Thats the 'non-T' version tho, and I liked the idea of traffic updates (my old Laguna used to have that on its inbuilt system).
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedean2 wrote:
forky wrote:

Thats the 'non-T' version tho, and I liked the idea of traffic updates (my old Laguna used to have that on its inbuilt system).

dixons

http://www.satnav-prices.co.uk/compare-prices/TomTom-Go-720T-Traffic.html

mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, nice price. Followed it to the Dixons website, and the 720T isn't even flippin' listed, let alone available! The 'standard' 720 is on there at 212 (which isn't that cheap) and even thats sold out!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handtec are out of stock now - they had them in when I posted earlier today
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: