Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed, this can't be right? Sorted Thanks.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed, this can't be right? Sorted Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Help needed, this can't be right? Sorted Thanks. Reply with quote

HELP!

Took delivery of a Garmin Nuvi 250 a few days ago, and really like the unit. I charged it from a PC USB lead and got a splash screen and a picture of the unit connected to a desktop PC tower on the screen whilst charging.

OK I expected that if it is connected by a USB data cable, that the unit will be unusable whilst charging it this way, however--

When I connected the unit up in the car using the supplied cigarette lighter socket power cable and exactly the same thing happens, a splash screen and a picture showing the unit connected to a pc, with the unit remaining unusable.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried connecting first and switching GPS on after, I tried connecting up powering of, switching car off and starting car with unit connected.

No difference what ever I do, it still thinks it's connected to a PC and hence remains locked when using the supplied cigarette lighter socket power cord, just as if it was connected to a PC via a data cable.

Surely the unit is not only usable when running off internal batteries and should work when connected via a cigarette lighter power cable.

Any ideas much appreciated, I'm foxxed. Cheers

Last edited by NoTimeTolouse on Tue May 20, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a reset? I don't know how you do it on your device but, if you don't know, the documentation that came with it should tell you.

If a reset doesn't sort it out it sounds as if the unit may be faulty, in which case you should return to the retailer for replacement.
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the exact car charger lead that was supplied with the device when it does this? If not try it with the correct lead and report back what happens, not all mini USB car chargers are exactly the same - Mike
NoTimeTolouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt replies, yes this was with the supplied lead, however a reset sorted it out, and all is well.

Thanks again, now a happy bunny!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same issue with a couple of Garmins I'd borrowed to test.

I used the USB car charger from my TomTom 720 as it is permanently plumbed into the dash (and all USB power connections SHOULD be compatible). Sure enough they always woke up thinking they were connected to a PC!

Just pulling the charger out of the lighter socket momentarily and then pushing it back in always woke the Garmins up though.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know you got it sorted! Very Happy

It's always worth trying a reset when you have a problem with your device.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: