Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Download Server Problem?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Download Server Problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Download Server Problem? Reply with quote

I have tried to download some POI's as Combined Categories but with no success. I tried Internet Explorer and Firefox, I also tried checking the view link box. None of these options worked, I kept getting error messages.
Is there a problem with the servers please? Crying or Very sad

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say at which point you have a problem, and what the error messages are. I tried just now and it's working as 'normal'.

I'm assuming you are downloading OV2 Files.

There is a limitation when using the OV2 format. The limitation is in how many sub-categories can be downloaded at a time.

This Topic goes some way to explain how to overcome it. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read through the link that you pasted and it is all starting to fall into place.
In Firefox, When I download combined categories, I get a blank page called done. In IE7, I get a message saying that I am not connected to the internet or the server is busy. I am indeed downloading OV2 files.
I am not at all sure how TomTom handles POI's.
In frustration, I downloaded everything as individual categories and I extracted it all directly to my TomTom folder.
When I tried to switch on TomTom, I got a message, "No maps found", I am assuming that I filled the whole thing with POI's!
I used TomTom Home to restore my backup, which was fine, but the strange thing which I noticed after restoring, was that I had a mixture of individual categories and combined categories.
I have an empty SD card slot on my device, could I load all POI's on to that? assuming that I manage to download properly.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get No Maps Found, after adding POIs, it can usually be cured by doing a Reset.

On your 720, you should be able to handle 169 POI Categories. If you try to use more than this then the Device will ignore the excess, in a random fashion.

The POIs must always go into the relevant Map Folder.

There are 2 ways that you can combine more than 20 sub-categories into a main category.

1. Select, and download, up to 22 sub-categories using the Combine Option. Reselect the next sub-categories in the same Category, and download, and so on till the whole Category is downloaded. Could be up to 4 downloads.

Use PoiEdit to merge the unzipped POI downloads into a single Category.

If there are less that 22 sub-categories in a Category then this will combine in one download.

2. Download the POIs in CSV Format. This will allow you to combine all sub0-categories, irrespective of how many there are.

Then, using PoiEdit again, the CSV categories can be converted to TomTom OV2 Format.

Quote:
I used TomTom Home to restore my backup,
Be aware that an Explorer Backup is preferable to a HOME Backup. HOME is well known for doing a less than perfect job of it. See #1 of the FAQs Page.

With the collection of POIs that you have at the moment, I would use Explorer to remove the POIs that are installed, as it will be most confusing and you will probably have duplications. Remove the bmp files also as they may confuse things.

Take them all out and start again would be the best way. Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: