Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will Go 300 maps work in Go 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Go 300 maps work in Go 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Will Go 300 maps work in Go 510 Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a cheap 2nd hand TomTom Go 510 to replace my ailing Go 300 but I have bought complete Europe maps for the 300. Will they work in the 510?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they will work, but you will probably need to transfer registration of the map to the new device.
If the map is on an original TT-supplied SD card, it should just work straight away, but if it was a download or has been copied to a new card, it will need to be registered before it will unlock.
There are two methods....
The old way this was done was with code numbers. The maps were supplied with a "product code" and your Go will have a "device code".
Input those two codes into a website at www.ttcode.com and an "activation code" is generated which you type in on the Go when asked in order to unlock the map.

On the newest maps the activation and registration is done through Home, and I'm afraid I don't know what the exact procedure would be in your case.
Anyone else know?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he bought the map by download "recently" (i.e within the last twelve months), changing his registration of device/account with TomTom's website from GO300 to GO510 (with serial numbers) will allow him to download the map for his 510 I think. Remember Andy, you were still offered your 300 downloads after you got the 720?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I don't remember exactly how long ago it was that I downloaded the Europe map, probably a couple of years. The map's are accurate enough. The only beef I have is the flashing red speed which is all but unreadable in daylight and which was installed at that time. Have they abandoned this stupid display yet?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't quite got my head round it...
So the account ACTUALLY seems to stick with the maps rather than the (single) device.

But....
Scenario A:
If he had an account for the 300, you're saying he could change the registered device to be the 510 and then the map would become usable on that.
If so, how would it STOP being usable on the 300?

Scenario B:
If he already had an account for the 300 and made another account for the 510, how would he transfer the map then?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
The only beef I have is the flashing red speed which is all but unreadable in daylight and which was installed at that time. Have they abandoned this stupid display yet?
I'm not sure the flashing red speed is quite that old. Yes, more recent firmware has done away with it, the best version of over speed is now a red box with the speed in white, perfectly legible.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I still haven't quite got my head round it...
So the account ACTUALLY seems to stick with the maps rather than the (single) device.
I think it may be a hang over from the previous series, before they started tying it directly to the device, when you downloaded maps (and everything else) onto your PC and had to install them yourself and Home v1 showed them as on your hard disk (in Home v1 I used to have about eight different firmwares covering two or three devices). I know I have three maps from previous devices (606, 660 and 675) which I can run on one of my GOs, because with that particular one, I changed my account from GO700 or 710 to whatever new device and the downloads followed along with the change. Maybe it is still device specific, but changing device transfers the allocation? Bear in mind also that you are entitled to download a map for the next twelve months - not much use if you change device and can't take it with you (e.g. buy France for your existing GB & Ireland regional device, change to a newer GB&I device). They will NOT work on any of my other devices though, just the one for which I changed the account (I think it's 720 #6).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: