Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stupid x950T error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid x950T error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabfabian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Stupid x950T error Reply with quote

Hi all,

New to the site and to Satnav's and that whats caused my problem.....

70 year old friend has just come to stay the weekend and I find out he has a VM x950T.
As I have just, and I mean just set up my x970T with updates fresh out of the box with updates etc. he tells me that he has never managed to update his as he not sure what to do so I offered to do it for him.

Asking what version of maps he has in his I tried my ver7 map card in his x950T Big mistake...................

It came up with an error, no problem I thought just replace his sd card and restart it......
NO....

Now all we can get is mapsonic.exe error and the device wont start.

Have tried to do a hard reset as I found on another site how to do that, but that has not fixed the SD card problem...... so we down loaded his DVD and installed that on my PC to try and restore his card or something like that....

Alas that wont work either as it still comes up with the mapsonic.exe error then the install program will go no further.......

He then tells me that he has just had a new Pc and has not installed the dvd back onto his new PC as yet....

Is there any way I can get his card back to a working state before he has to drive 130ish miles across london home......

Yes I know what some of you will be thinking we tried to do something under the table......
No this was a genuine error, had I had known that the 2 systems were so different in the way they work I would not have offered.

All help please......
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome Welcome

The only thing I can think of, in the absence of any clever people out there, is to uninstall all traces of VM software from your PC and install your friends DVD and device. Update his device and hope it works.

Then remove all VM software again, reinstall your software, you will probably have to downgrade your device initially, then perform all updates required to v7.0.4 if necessary.

Hope that helps
fabfabian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SpikeyMikey,

Thanks for the Reply,
Alas I have tried that but cant get past the install of his device. It would appear that the install looks at the sd card, and as we now think it has had some data over written I cannot complete the install.

What I need is the files from a working 950T sd card I can then try and install the device using those and hopefully Exclamation it will finish the install, I can then use the consol to recover his sd card back to the original.....

SO any one with the ability to copy th filed on there SD card! Please feel free to help........

Thanks
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are only going to cause more problems by what you are proposing. I have seen that others who have contacted ViaM by phone have had some excellent help. Why not give them a ring.
fabfabian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee,

I hear what you are saying, however I was hoping for a fix today before he leaves for home, and as its a bank holiday I doubt thee will be much assistance at Vm, but is what we may have to do I guess.....
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friend has a new PC? Does that mean he might still have an old PC with the DVD installed on it? If so it might JUST be a possibility to try and do an SD card Restore on there.

I have to say though, I think this is unlikely as the V7 software is (as you have no doubt realised by now!) INCOMPATIBLE with the 950, and so some corruption has presumably been done to either the system software on the 950 or its SD card, or both.

You are unlikely to get a solution with other users' SD cards either, as Gee-Pee says - unless it is a new, unused SD card, it will have been keyed to its original unit and would be rejected by other units. Maybe VM can supply a new 950 card if they are in a helpful mood, if they can't talk a solution through with you. Also I know someone on here found VM very helpful when he got himself into a mess - they repaired his unit under his warranty even though the fault wasn't theirs.

Good Luck.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabfabian wrote:
Gee-Pee,

I hear what you are saying, however I was hoping for a fix today before he leaves for home, and as its a bank holiday I doubt thee will be much assistance at Vm, but is what we may have to do I guess.....

I think all support is in France so you may get through to someone today... Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: