Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help I'm lost before I start
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help I'm lost before I start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Help I'm lost before I start Reply with quote

I want to buy a GPS system mainly for cycling and walking in the UK and France. For this reason I need to be able to add large scale maps which will show cycle routes and tracks and trails. I initially considered the Magellan Meridian Platinum or Colour. Having come across your site I am now wondering whether I might do better to go for a PDA system. I have no PDA at present but was considering buying one and a GPS with PDA would save money in the long run. The problem is :
Which system to go for bearing in mind that I am not really interested in City/ Car navigation but would like to be able to add recreational maps
Also, I often carry the tent and am away from charging facilities for a while so that if you recommend a PDA system it will need to be able to connect to some external power source using consumable batteries.

Don't blame me for all these questions, your excellent site opened up new possibilities

Many thanks

robbieb
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first thing is to get a RAM Bike Mount from GPS Warehouse.

A Pocket PC complete system will set you back around £500-600 but will be worth it if you want rich style Ordnance Survey maps and also Street Navigation applications that will allow you to plot your start and destination and have it route you to it.

For Ordnance Survey style maps, check the Topographical link on the left hand menu, and for street navigation apps, check the PDA GPS Street Routing link.

You could go with a handheld GPS but you won't get really good quality maps out of these until really the GPSMap76C which will be out around April/May and even then I the Pocket PC maps Ithink will still be better.

If it's just plotting waypoints where you cycle/walk so you can download them when you get home then a handheld GPS would be better.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: