Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My voice speed alerts have gone - please hep
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My voice speed alerts have gone - please hep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gullman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: My voice speed alerts have gone - please hep Reply with quote

Hi

Please help as my speed alerts have gone after an update..

I have A Tom Tom One (one of the originals I think) with updated maps.

I have just updated updated it via TomTom home and it incremented it a couple of times to end up as:

app: 7.162

It added some quick GPS thing too.
GPS: 1.21
Map: UK AND IE PLUS MAJOR ROADS OF WESTERN EUROPE v660.1219

It added some new sounds and overwrote my data.chk file.
I have lots of new bongs and silly sounds but my voice ones from PocketGPS have gone.

I tried copying my old one back but that did not work (restored the new one as I saved it first).

So I searched to find this page regarding ogg files:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-ogg-files.php#installation

I downloaded the PocketGPSWorld 'Computer Voice' speed zoned to match my cameras and placed the ogg files in the map folder as directed.
I followed the extra instructions for version 7 users.

i.e. said no to the remove warning' .
I then get to enter a distance for the warning
Then I get a message 'is this the sound you want to use' to which I said yes.
All I get then is the option to say whether to 'warn only if POI is on route' and a 'done' button.

On clicking done it exits.

I notice my sequence is different to the order of events described on the instructions? Is this the problem?

Maybe my unit is not ogg compatible being the original??

If so can I get an updated data.ck file fromn somewhere.

I really hate the silly bongs and whistles - please someone save me!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it sounds as if you've done everything absolutely correctly. Have you actually tested to see whether or not you've got the spoken warnings?

To test without going out driving, plan a route which goes past your nearest camera/s, then instead of Done, select Details, then Demo, and choose a speed no greater than 200%.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are doing sounds exactly correct, once you have configured all the POI warnings have you tried a route demo past a camera running at 100% speed to see if the warnings are actually working?

Try AtoB (Advanced Planning) set the departure point to Address/ Postcode and enter FY43NN house number 95

Set destination to Address/ Postcode and enter PR41AX, if it wants a house number enter 33, once it plans the route select Details followed by "Route Demo" set the replay speed to 100% and sit back and watch/ listen, you should get a Gatso 30 followed by a Mobile 30, Mobile 40 etc - Mike
Gullman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I tried resetting factory settings but that did not help.

I tried what you suggested and although the poi is on the map I get no warning at all.

The only thing I can think of is to put it back how it was, then do the first upgrade offered and then use the ogg files as instructed, then do the final app upgrade. maybe then I will just get the known bug that has the workaround - and the next upgrade wont matter as I will have already set up all the oggg files.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reset the device with a paperclip and then set the warnings for the POI files as a Restore Factory defaults might have wiped out your settings for the POI warnings, just do the Gatso 30, Mobile 30 and Mobile 40 categories then run the above route demo again, if it works correctly configure all the other camera types - Mike
Gullman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Try AtoB (Advanced Planning) set the departure point to Address/ Postcode and enter FY43NN house number 95

Hi

I tried as you suggested but I can see the POI but no warnings appear.

Interestingly I went to the 'warn when near POI' for other speed cameras and I get to put in how many yards straight away. However. if I click ok nothing happens at all - all I can do is cancel. I seem to be able to select sound .. and done for the first camera speed only.

??

I don't know - will it know to use the ogg files if I only ever used a data.chk file before?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modified data.chk file method is no longer supported as it is not necessary, are you 100% sure that the ogg file pack you downloaded exactly matches the camera database type you are using?

There are three options for the database, and three coresponding options for the ogg files, these must be a matched set otherwise it won't work.

Which Speed Camera database are you using, Single File, Consolidated or Speed Zoned? then download the correct ogg file set and try again as I suspect a miss match between the two file sets from what you describe - Mike
Gullman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Reset the device with a paperclip and then set the warnings for the POI files as a Restore Factory defaults might have wiped out your settings for the POI warnings, just do the Gatso 30, Mobile 30 and Mobile 40 categories then run the above route demo again, if it works correctly configure all the other camera types - Mike

Hey that fixed it!

I started getting litte sound icons next to each POI I reset so felt confident.

I am now getting the correct warnings.

Thanks all very much for the help and replies and saving me from the bongs and whistles!

Very Happy
Gullman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it helps and as my sequence seemed different here is what made it work.

1) select Manage POIs
2) Select warn when near POI
3) Select the speed camera to set
4) Say no to remove warning message
5) enter distance and ok
4) MUST SAY YES to 'Is this the sound you want to select'
6) Set preference for option to 'Warn only if POI is on route'
7) Click Done
8) repeat from step 2 for other speed warnings

Note:
At step 5 when setting distance and pressing OK sometimes nothing may happen and you cannot continue.
Seems some sort of bug?
If this happens reset unit with a pin and start again and it will be fine (you will not lose the cameras you already set).

Note 2:
If at step 4 you dont get the message 'Is this the sound you want to select' but instead get the choice of selecting one of the built in bells or bongs it is beacuse you don't have the ogg sound file for this camera.

(I had to download the pmobile Crystal_pmobile_speedzoned.zip ogg files seperately as my chosen collection was missing these particular ones).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: