Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Programming specific route into tomtom one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Programming specific route into tomtom one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebully
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Programming specific route into tomtom one Reply with quote

Hi I am going for my motorcycle test and have been practising on my own on my own 125.

Recently failed my first attempt for a stupid mistake of leaving my indicator on due to nerves! Sad

I have been able to download all the test routes from my local test centre from the DSA website and was thinking that it would be handy if I could somehow program the routes into my tomtom one and strap it to the handlebars and let it direct me around the test routes so by the time I have taken the test I will have covered them all?

Does anyone know if it is possible to program a specific route into the device road by road?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, does your TomTom One have the "Itinerary" option in the menu pages, if it does you can use this to program a specific route. - Mike
thebully
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum, does your TomTom One have the "Itinerary" option in the menu pages, if it does you can use this to program a specific route. - Mike

Thanks for the advice but I cant find this option on my tomtom one. The menu is very basic which is fine for normal use but not very good when you try to be clever with it nevermind I will just have to try and memorise the routes before I go out on the bike Rolling Eyes Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the icon is missing you have the One Third Edition, if you read through the post I made at the start of This Thread you will find some advice on getting this functionality back on your device, it isn't difficult to do, just make sure you have a full back up of the device before you mess around with it - Mike
thebully
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If the icon is missing you have the One Third Edition, if you read through the post I made at the start of This Thread you will find some advice on getting this functionality back on your device, it isn't difficult to do, just make sure you have a full back up of the device before you mess around with it - Mike

Thanks m8 I have backed up and performed the hack so now have the itinenary button. Will have a play about with that Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you will have noticed doing this removes the icons for MapShare and HelpMe, if you ever want these back on the device simply re-name the TomTom.mnu file in the SdkRegistry folder to TomTom_old.mnu and the normal menu options will return. Renaming to TomTom.mnu will bring back the custom menu and itinerary.
It is not possible to have a Custom Menu on the device with MapShare and HelpMe

If you want some help with the itinerary options try looking at a user guide for a different model such as the Go-x20 device, see page 44 on This One - Mike
geoffshep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Just found this thread after downloading a 'route' using TT Home and then not being able to access it. I've done your fix above and got the older menu items. Are you saying the 'map share/help me' option and the 'itineraries/POI' options are mutually incompatible or is it because there aren't enough menu buttons.

I've messed about with that TomTom.mnu file and added a third page. Do you know what the Map Corrections and Help Me commands are - ie what goes where the XXs are?

MENUITEM|TASK_XXX_XXX|

Geoff

Can't believe TomTom site still says TT One V3 is itinerary compatible when it plainly isn't (without hacking).

Sorry - found more answers to this deeper in the other threads. No post delete facility it seems. Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have the Itinerary and full POI menu options OR MapShare and HelpMe, but you cannot have both due to the way the application works, (Stupid I know, but there you go).

I would go with Itinerary and full POI rather than helping the manufacturer to harvest data that they will then charge for at a subsequent map release (MapShare), also the HelpMe function is of little use IMHO, read the guides and switch it off, most of the available options rely upon POI files which are woefully inadequate on the device as supplied.
Even when POI updates are obtained via MapShare the files are very lacking in accuracy and detail when compared to the quality offerings available for free from this site, what really annoys me is when I sent a number of changes to TomTom for the POI files, these changes were included with a later map, but the data was incorrect - the actual names were wrong and some of the phone numbers were missing - a great idea in concept, but MapShare is fatally flawed by poor implementation - choice is yours? - Mike

Edit once to add a Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up Welcome
geoffshep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - been registered for while, for POIs in the old days, but never posted.

Know what you mean about harvesting info for TT to benefit having moved recently from Navigator3/5/6 on PDA where updates don't seem to exist. With my new TT One V3 I hoped to benefit from free map share updates for at least a year before having to cough up. I've already updated a few times but a couple of big changes on the A1 still don't appear on my map.

The thing that set me off was downloading a route from TT Home then not being able to 'find' it on my device, yet the website still talks about selecting Itineraries - which obviously I didn't have.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapShare will update your device with new information but the new road layout on the A1 around the A57 interchange and a couple of other junctions just South of this location will not be included until a new map is released. MapShare will update POI files and junction access changes, one way street changes etc. It will not download new road layouts of that magnitude to your device.
The revised road layout in that area was only opened last Dec and parts of it are still being worked on so it will be a while before it is fully mapped and appears on even the very latest device. (I have spent many a happy hour wasted sat in traffic around that location over the years) - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MapShare will update POI files

As designed, yes.... but broken at the moment. There have been no POI updates for most of this year (well maybe once in early March when it seems they tested a new delivery system, but it vanished again immediately!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: