Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Maker And Editer?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Maker And Editer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKOne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: POI Maker And Editer? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can get a poi maker and editer. I want to make some Poi's for my tomtom one V2.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you can use various formats on thePC such as Excel to create your list, then convert the file to the required ov2 file format using something like POIEdit - it is well worth looking at, another very good application is POIConverter written by "Oldie" one of the other Moderators on this site, it is available from his own web site Here - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, for small lists or if you want to add new entries while out and about, it might be quicker to just make your new POI categories on the TomTom itself using the "Manage POIs" menu.

(ONE "3rd edition" owners will have to install a custom menu in order to 'un-hide' this function)
Gardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: POI Long and Lat references Reply with quote

Hi
How do i get the Long Lat references?

Someone suggested street map. Putting the Post code in - Is this the best method?

Regards
Gardy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Postcode is a pretty BAD method of locating a POI, that's the reason why so many on the TomTom when you buy it are so awful - the postcode often covers just too large an area.

To get accurate coordinates, it depends what you are trying to achieve and how. Can you give more clues about what data you have got already and how you want to enter it?

Two ways that might be useful:
1. On the TomTom itself, go to "Browse map" then tap "options" at the bottom. Tick the "coordinates" box and from then on it will always show the Lat/Long of the position of the blue cursor, so if you "find" a favourite etc it will tell you its coordinates.

2. The standard Google map tells you the coordinates at the centre of the screen, hidden in the URL, but that's not very useful as it's fiddly to have to copy them, and worse, it doesn't show you where the centre of the screen is.

However, either the camera submission OR the POI submission map on this very site, solve BOTH those issues, as it has a small (admittedly TOO small) cross at the exact centre spot AND it shows you the exact coordinates at the top left corner of the map (which can be copy and pasted).

Obviously, with either of these methods, you can use Postcodes to get you in the general area, and then the aerial photos plus your own knowledge to get you closer to the spot.
Gardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: POI Long and Lat references Reply with quote

My wife is disabled and uses the wheelchair facilities offered for shoppers see : http://www.shopmobilityuk.org/

When we travel around the UK we are never sure if a certain town has this facility.

They have a list of location across the UK where wheelchairs etc can be hired and i thought i would attempt to put the information into a POI.

I realise i could add one directly into my TomTOM but (haven't given it much thought) why not put them all in and place the POI in the public domain.

That is the thinking.

From the web site i can get addresses and Post Code and even look up locations......... but i may not be going about it the best way. Im really just exploring ideas.

I have downloaded a POI editor as a start hence my original references about getting Latitude and Longitude from Post codes.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Gardy
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, postcodes cannot give you a precise location, but they can give you a very good idea of where a particular premises is located. Converting a series of postcoded addresses to lat/long and using this as the basis of a POI file provides a very good start point.

I would have thought that Shopmobility locations is a terrific idea for a POI category on this site. After it has been uploaded, other site users will no doubt enhance the individul POIs and move them to more accurate locations.

If you have a copy of AutoRoute, you can enter postcodes into this, and it will generate the lat/long data in a saved .AXE file. The .AXE file can then be converted by a program like POIConverter to an .OV2 file.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how much time and effort you want to put in. Smile

Any list will be better than nothing, if all you have is the postcodes.
If entering them on a satnav, the full address will probably give more accurate results, but if you know the area at all, you could use Google Maps aerial view or the POIEdit Google map to get it closer.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

2. The standard Google map tells you the coordinates at the centre of the screen, hidden in the URL, but that's not very useful as it's fiddly to have to copy them, and worse, it doesn't show you where the centre of the screen is.

An alternative using Google maps is to use a pushpin to mark the spot. You can drag it around the map to get it to the correct location and then the properties box will give you the Lat/Lon
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a Shopmobilty category under Healthcare, why not just add to this by submitting a poi once you locate.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
There is already a Shopmobilty category under Healthcare,

Ahh! That changes things rather!

Download that one from this page (pages may take a while to load, and depending on your browser, you may need to tick the "show link" box).

Then you can add ones that may be missing, either by browsing the map on the "submit POIs" page (there's a link at the bottom of the other page too), or you can add them as favourites or POIs as you drive around and submit them later using the Lat/Long coordinates.

P.S.
Rick-uk wrote:
[
An alternative using Google maps is to use a pushpin to mark the spot.

Good tip, Rick, I hadn't thought of that! Thumbs Up
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
There is already a Shopmobilty category under Healthcare.

But bear in mind that this category currently only has 5 entries, so it does still need a fair amount of work to complete it!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, OK.
In that case it might be better to ignore my last post and just start again! Laughing
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point to Gardy, not all the Shopmobility outlets belong to the NFSUK organisation, the one local to me does not, even the Federation admit this and it does not say that they offer any less service, it may be reasons of their own. just thought i would mention.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: