Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN3 Upgrade...not going to bother.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN3 Upgrade...not going to bother.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: TTN3 Upgrade...not going to bother. Reply with quote

Personally I think they having a larf charging yet more money for such a low benefit upgrade....especially having paid once for the initial software and then for the upgrade to TTN2.
Plus I'm still annoyed with then for never answering my wifes emails who posted off her TTN1 disc off to Tomtom to get the voucher to upgrade to TTN2 and never received a reply (or voucher)!
I used to recommend Tomtom now I tell everyone to avoid them like the plague. Grrrr
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there's no excuse for failing to respond to customer problems such as yours, was it ever resolved or did you give up?

As for TTNav3, if you look at it as a map upgrade then it is not unreasonable of them to charge 49 euros. Given that you also then get the Major Roads of Europe addition as well as waypoints and the option of Traffic Data then it really is a pretty good deal. Certainly other manufacturers have been far les generous to existing users when new releases are produced.
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I agree that there's no excuse for failing to respond to customer problems such as yours, was it ever resolved or did you give up?

We gave up until my wife received an email asking her if she wanted to upgrade to TTN3!!!!!
This morning she emailed 5 different people in management at Tomtom explaining that she still waiting for her voucher to enable her to upgrade to TTN2!
As of close of business today we have not had a single reply.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley this is something TomTom excels in, not replying to email. The amount of times we have to re-email TomTom again and again, and we still don't get an answer. I'm sure they're in email overload mode like we are, but if they are, they could employ more people or perhaps open up new channels/email address and ask people with specific problems to email those email addresses.

It's a shame!
iangus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmph i got ttn2 at xmas - a couple of weeks before the free upgrade which is cutoff at 18th jan 04- basically i miss out on something by 2 wks and ive only owned it 3 months- this is simply not long enough! - surely after owning ttn2 for only 3 months i should not expect to pay more for the upgrade?!
obv i would like upto date maps (obv this is essential)- on tomtom's website it does state that maps are upgraded and "TomTom will support and publish new map data as and when it is made available by our data supplier". so basically if i decide to stick with ttn2 will i ever get new maps or will i be forced to buy the ttn3 upgrade. if im forced to get ttn3 for the new maps i find this a bit cheeky. does anybody know what the policy will be?
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangus wrote:
hmmmph i got ttn2 at xmas - a couple of weeks before the free upgrade which is cutoff at 18th jan 04- basically i miss out on something by 2 wks and ive only owned it 3 months- this is simply not long enough! - surely after owning ttn2 for only 3 months i should not expect to pay more for the upgrade?!

Me too ....
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Unfortunatley this is something TomTom excels in, not replying to email.

Update.
My wife received an email (with apology) 8O from Tomtom this morning and if everything goes to plan she will soon receive her copy of TTN2 through the post.
So thats good news and goes a long way in restoring our confidence in them. Happy
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangus wrote:
hmmmph i got ttn2 at xmas - a couple of weeks before the free upgrade which is cutoff at 18th jan 04- basically i miss out on something by 2 wks and ive only owned it 3 months- this is simply not long enough! -

Nobody is forcing you to upgrade. You haven't missed out on anything. If you want to upgrade to TTN3 then you pay the heavily discounted upgrade fee.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangus wrote:
.....so basically if i decide to stick with ttn2 will i ever get new maps or will i be forced to buy the ttn3 upgrade. if im forced to get ttn3 for the new maps i find this a bit cheeky. does anybody know what the policy will be?

The policy has been in the past that unless you pay for the upgrade, you stick with the old maps - I can't see this changing, can you?

Steve
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way to look at it, and the way TomTom look at it (I know from an e-mail I had from them during the TTN1 - TTN2 upgrade), is you are paying for the map upgrade, and effectively getting a software upgrade for nothing at the same time. So no, you won't get a map upgrade for TTN2, because that's exactly what TTN3 is - a map upgrade, plus bonus material!

That's not unreasonable - it's the map data that costs the real money, and they have never said updated map data will be free. It isn't for any other GPS system (or paper map system) I know of, so why should it be for TomTom?

The crunch is though, you do need to keep up to date with the upgrades. Lets say you have TTN2, and decide you don't yet need a map upgrade because you already know where the M6 toll road is. So you don't upgrade. But then when TTN4 comes out, you decide the time is right to have the new maps. At that stage, you will have to pay full price to upgrade from TTN2 to TTN4.

So, if you want map upgrades at upgrade prices in the future, you have to buy them all - you can't skip any upgrade. That might be a good enough reason to upgrade now in itself.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mark on this. There's no upgrade deal announced from Navigator 1 to Navigator 3, also the upgrade deal from Navigator 1 to Navigator 2 had a time limit.

Putting this together, the chances are that if you don't take the upgrade to Navigator 3 when the upgrade deal is open, you will almost certainly have to pay for a new copy of Navigator should you decide you want Navigator 3 after the upgrade deal has closed, or you want a future version of Navigator.

The upgrade from Navigator 1 to Navigator 2 was, I believe, 39 Euros per country (plus shipping and handling). The upgrade from Navigator 2 to Navigator 3 is 49 Euros for up to two products (plus shipping and handling). That should allow you to upgrade any country version plus the European maps package - though I'm not sure exactly what's happening to the USA version in all this upgrading.

The chances are that even if you decide not to use Navigator 3 for a while, or at all, the cost of eventually acquiring Navigator 4 (assuming it is eventually released, which I expect, in another year or so, it will be) is likely to be less if you upgrade twice than if you buy new.

The only thing is that if you don't upgrade, and eventually buy Navigator 4 at full price, you can eventually sell your copy of Navigator 2. I would expect that the licence for an upgrade will prohibit you from transferring the qualifying product, and I wouldn't be surprised if TomTom disable the ability to activate new devices on codes that have been used to qualify an upgrade. That said, I have my doubts that a two versions old copy of a navigation program with no upgrade path would be worth very much.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: