Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI submission/change/remove incentive?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI submission/change/remove incentive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: POI submission/change/remove incentive? Reply with quote

As we all know, the camera database is kept up to date with submissions from members - with the added incentive that if your the first to spot certain types of camera, you are rewarded with a lifetimes subscription. Could we not do something similar with the POI? Maybe not a lifetime's subscription, but say a year's free for who-ever contributes the most over a given period? I'm sure this would make it even more accurate than it already is!
Just a thought...

Tomtom One
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
United Kingdom and Replublic of Ireland v885.4058
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem is cameras are verified. POIs aren't. You'd either have to verify all the POIs too, or risk suffering a deludge of poor quality POis just to get a prize.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I see what you mean, it was just a thought Wink

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah I see what you mean, it was just a thought

Oh, it was just my 2p worth.... The team might see it differently.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Wink You are probably right though.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sometimes wonder whether the POI database could be marketed a little more strongly than it is currently. The feeling I get is that PGPSW is the speed camera database, and that the POIs are merely a sideline.

On the other hand, more active marketing might mean more submissions, more work for the administrators and possibly an increase in the number of categories with only one or two entries rather than the completion of some of the existing partial files with only a small number of entries.

It would be interesting to know if there are any future plans to enhance the profile of the POI files (or should we switch to the ones that TomTom are now thoughtfully providing? Rolling Eyes ).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting suggestion and all ideas are welcome. Naturally because the POI database is a free resource we have invested less time in marketing it.

But that does not mean that we have not invested considerable time in setting up the system, the back-end and of course the tireless efforts of Richard who has been running it almost single handedly since it was launched.

We are at the tipping point already and are considering our options for future expansion, more staff etc to support the increased submissions.

Whilst the camera database does consume more of our time because members pay to use it and so rightly expect a higher level of service etc it also benefits the POI database in bringing additional traffic to the site.

Of course you can choose to use any POIs you see fit although I hope you don't think the ones TomTom offer are better, as good maybe, especially when ripped from our site but better? Nope Confused
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the camera database is good value for money (I wish it had been around in my twenties)......was it 9 points I had?.... but the POI are something I could not do without, and the more accurate they get - the better! If it does expand and you need extra help, then I am willing to give up some of my spare time to enable it to grow.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue we have with POIs is funding it. If we charged a nominal sub to access it I can only imagine the uproar yet it's a huge admin issue maintaining it. The other option is to automate reports completely but this will remove any error checking and verification and the database would quickly become polluted with duplicates and erroneous reports.

It's better than other options precisely because it is managed by humans who manually verify submissions. But humans and the back-end infrastructure cost money.

Catch 22.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a true poi position is 1 thing i really do believe ,there is nothing worse than trying to find a non existent poi especially when you petrol light is going mad in a area you know nothing about ...or even poi's that are in the wrong position as i use most supermarket poi's from here
down the south east i am trying to get exact positions of most poi's that i come across in daily life take for example co-op down in east sussex i'm slowly getting it to look much better
Also as you say you don't have much time to attend to poi's so why not have another team that does just poi's and 1 team you can trust with cameras
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people took more care with their submissions then it would save me a lot of time. So come on folks please read/re-read the guidelines here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50928

Oh and bye the way as I am retired I am a "free resource" but as you can tell I do get exasperated by some of the submissions.

Richard, the Oldie one Smile
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a read through that, I used common sense before. I submit a lot of Co-op stores as I refurbish them, particularly in the North East. 99% of them in the database are just down as "North Eastern" which is annoying sometimes, there can be 3 or 4 stores even in a small town and North Eastern doesnt help at all. Each new one I work on gets changed, with a better description.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
Just had a read through that, I used common sense before. I submit a lot of Co-op stores as I refurbish them, particularly in the North East. 99% of them in the database are just down as "North Eastern" which is annoying sometimes, there can be 3 or 4 stores even in a small town and North Eastern doesnt help at all. Each new one I work on gets changed, with a better description.

I agree that it is far from ideal but I a little bit better than some submissions that I still receive. Often submitters repeat the SubCat name in the Title and Details fields, eg for SubCat - Post Office I get Title - Post Office and Details - Post Office Crying or Very sad. The startup data for Co-op stores lacked the detail that I would have liked but I thought it better to use it. With your help it is getting better, thanks for that.

Richard
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I also use a lot of buiders merchants, Shell and BP petrol stations - which I alter if found to be incorrect. To be honest its getting more and more accurate by the day, it's a team effort so thanks to the likes of yourself also.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: