Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database for a Becker sat
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database for a Becker sat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tadworth506
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Using PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database for a Becker sat Reply with quote

I have been trying to load the PocketGPSWorld speed camera alerts into my Becker but to no avail. I've been following the instuctions listed under POI Warner. I notice that the speed camera alerts are available from Navigon for around 30 Euros but as I have already subscribed to a years speed camera updates on the PocketGPSWorld site I don't really want to pay twice
Would appreciate any help from anyone who has been successful
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you bought poi warner and installed it on the device?

MaFt
tadworth506
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got POI Warner on it. I've got all the free POI's from POI handler working OK, & I've even subscribed to the weather function. I want to get the speed alerts working on the Becker because at the moment I'm still using my old Garmin i3 in the car as well, just for the speed alerts.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as I have just ordered the Becker HighSpeed unit I have been doing some surfing.

Yes you can create third party overlays for the Becker unit via POIWarner. They reckon :

Quote:
Adding overlays from other sources/Creating overlays

An overlay consists of a bmp file and an asc file.
The bmp file contains the icon which will appear on the map everywhere where a POI of the type in question is to be found.
The asc file contains the POI data.
Please use the standard asc format: one entry per line, no spaces in the formatting:

gps X, gps Y,"comment"

Examples:

00.0000000,00.0000000,"[ZIP] ExampleOverlayName [PlaceName]"

Looking at the Other-ASC cameras, they appear to be in the right format ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Using PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database for a Becker Reply with quote

tadworth506 wrote:
I have been trying to load the PocketGPSWorld speed camera alerts into my Becker but to no avail. I've been following the instuctions listed under POI Warner. I notice that the speed camera alerts are available from Navigon for around 30 Euros but as I have already subscribed to a years speed camera updates on the PocketGPSWorld site I don't really want to pay twice

They should work fine, others using Navigon use our database (which is much better than theirs btw!).

Which version of our database have you downloaded?
tadworth506
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Using PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database for a Becker Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
tadworth506 wrote:

They should work fine, others using Navigon use our database (which is much better than theirs btw!).

Which version of our database have you downloaded?

I have using the TomTom OV2 (UK speed zones) as the POI Warner guidelines suggest that this is the one to use. The ASC files are POI Observer. The POI Warner guidelines say copy the files to the map folder, but there is no map folder on the SD, so I copied the files straight onto the card, & this doesn't work
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded one of the free sets of POI data (Airports) for the Navigon from POIWarner and opened them in Notepad and they are in the ASC format as described above.

I know it says use OV2 on the cameras page but Becker via POIWarner seems to want ASC ?

Here is the link :

http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=4934

It should be easy ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
tadworth506
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the speed camera alerts working in the Becker at last. Yes Kremmen you are right the Becker uses asc files and not ov2 as indicated on the camera guide for POI Warner. So basically download the "asc other" files and then using Active Synch copy them into the "pois" folder which is found by opening up "my flash disk" and then "poi warner" folder.
Once copied do a reset on the becker and sorted!. The becker does actually convert the files to bak.
The acoustic (warning) tone is pretty poor. If you have the car radio on, or the window open I have found that the tone is not loud enough to bring the speed camera warning to my attention.
I have also managed to put other poi's (ie Lidl's, McDonalds etc) onto the becker that were in csv . All you do is copy them into the pois folder and then change their names from csv to asc. I didn't think that this conversion was going to work and originally was looking for a conversion program but when I could find one I tried a name change and to my surprise it worked. ..... sorted!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff.

Having looked at the format of the Navigon files (as reported elsewhere) they also look very similar to the ASC files.

My Becker is going back - I won't double post the probs here.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: