Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - QuickGPSfix on x20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

QuickGPSfix on x20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: QuickGPSfix on x20 Reply with quote

Hi guys

Just like to say what an excellent site this is and is an invaluable aid to using my latest PND.

Out of curiosity, I've been following several threads and have noticed a negativity towards the TT QuickGPSfix downloads from TT home.

Don't exactly understand what it's supposed to do and why posters seem to see it as a bad thing?

I ask particularly as I used my 920 in Sweden last week and it took 20 mins + to get a GPS signal (don't think I'd downloaded for a couple of weeks). I'm going to Toulouse next weekend and intend to use it there too, so wonder if downloading the QuickGPSfix will help to get reception more quickly? (don't wanta look like a burke sat in the car hire park waiting another 20mins before I can set off Embarassed )

Cheers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the actual NEGATIVITY may be misplaced; we suggested it as a possible culprit for a mysterious habit that TomToms had a few weeks ago of showing your position about 200 yards adrift. That was proved to be wrong though, as it happened to people who'd never used Quickfix.

But other discussions have been whether Quickfix actually makes lock times any quicker on the more recent machines or not.

I've always used it, but when I last used my Go in the UK, then left it switched off for about three days and then switched it on when in Spain, it still took about 15 minutes to get a fix, so Quickfix didn't seem to help at all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally the opposite of Andy though, I don't use QGPS and haven't done for some considerable time now (unless required when testing a device to ensure it works), I use my devices daily and don't have a problem with signal acquisition, typically lock on time is less than 20 seconds.

The prime reason I don't use it is my inherent distrust of the Home software required to put it on the unit, although I have aGPS on 4 different mobile phones that are GPS equipped and I don't use it on them either (aGPS and qGPS are the same thing to all intents) - if a device is used daily (or every other day) there is no need for it, although the sales and marketing people would have a different view I think.

The main problems with long signal fix duration is either that you are moving without a position lock (a bad idea, and avoidable), obscured view of the sky or Athermic windscreens in cars you are not familiar with - if possible switch the unit on as soon as you leave the terminal building - even if it is in your pocket it will be gathering data thus reducing the duration it needs in the car - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using QGPS and have not found any problems at all. Like Mike, I use mine daily and with three devices, by the time I've fired them all up and input destinations, they're all up and running happily.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few successive days each month when I don't use my 520, to which I migrated in December. I have consistently found faster lock-on times following periods of non-usage after having downloaded quickfix.
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks guys,

Not sure if I'm any wiser but I take it from the mixed responses that the verdict's still out on the benefits of this download.

Gota be honest that in the 3 months that I've been using my 920 without downloading, pick up signal reception has been (almost) faultless....compared to my old nav3 and 5.

As I didn't try the download pre my previous trip, I'll try it this week and see if it picks up more quickly on landing.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think our responses have actually been that mixed...
I think we're all saying that on a modern machine the GPSQuickFix doesn't seem to make much (if any) difference.

Use your TT regularly and it will get a fast fix anyway.

Don't use it for a while and then switch it on in a different country and it will take some time irrespective of GPSQuickFix.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acquired the problem with the cursor being in the field or adjoining road and also took on board the assumption that GPS fix was the culprit after reading a few posts.
Well yesterday i found that although the problem still existed i was not getting GPS fix updates when connecting to home.
On further investigation i found that although i had the Epheremis folder in my system it was in fact empty.
After a lot of mucking about i now get the updates.
So without the GPS fix on my system before i still got the cursor going walkabout, so personally i do not feel this is the culprit.
As per the others, if it works or not, who knows, the x10 and x20 units seem to get a good and quick lock anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: