Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS with google satellite visualization
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS with google satellite visualization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckie2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: GPS with google satellite visualization Reply with quote

Is there any GPS that show the 3D maps like google satellite/terrain? Or is there a sofware that can be installed in the tomtom/garmin GPS to emulate google map?
Tom
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general - no. Most of the GPS systems use vector data mapping in order to significantly reduce the amount of data storage needed. Google imaging is bit-mapped = massive data storage.

Some GARMIN handhelds will do shaded relief based on a digital elevation model (DEM) to give you a mock-3D look to the display. This is similar to what Anquet and MemoryMap do for their 3D flyby displays.

Using something like OziExplorer on a PDA it's possible to display geo-referenced images and plot your position on these. Years ago I did this with some MRSID geo-referenced earth images - but these aren't as detailed as the higher resolution Google Earh images.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a PDA linked to a Phone, or better still a PDA based phone with integral GPS you can use Google Maps Mobile on the device, bear in mind it will use quite a bit of GPRS data traffic so it should only be used if you are on a flat rate tariff for GPRS. Have a look at some screen shots I took a little over a year ago using my HTC Artemis (PDA phone with GPS) Here - but I don't think you can realistically do this with a TomTom or Garmin type device - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing with using satellite images for navigation is half the time you can't see the road as it's covered with trees...!

MaFt
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played with windows live maps on my o2 orbit the other night and it navigated me though there was no voice instruction

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: