Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Cameras on the M4??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Cameras on the M4??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TB303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: No Cameras on the M4?? Reply with quote

Hi people,

Yesterday I drove London to bath and return on the M4 at "reasonable speed". On my TomTom I had the latest version of the database - downloaded the previous evening.

on Dosen of accourances, both on the way to bath and back, the TomTom warned my of cameras (especially around bridges over the road) - yet there were no cameras there... Both me and the passenger looked in the mirrors and the nly thing we could see was the remains of "metal arms" that probably held those cameras there.

Do they remove speed cameras? Do you guys then remove them from the database?

Please advise,

Thanks!
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PGPSW database has lots of mobile cameras in it. i.e. the ones where a van pulls up on a bridge and scans the trafic below looking for us "driving safely, but at speed" vehicles.

You do not make reference to which form of database you have (Tomtom or PGPSW), nor do you make reference to which type of files you are using if you have the PGPSW, e.g. singular etc. so I cannot advise further.
TB303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am using the single consolidated file (TomTom Ov2) and the icons were for stationary cameras, not mobile ones.

I hope that helps,

Thanks,
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the metal arms hanging off the bridge? Did they look like this...

If so they are Traffic Master sensors that monitor traffic flow. The Variable Cameras on the M42 and M25 are mounted on the back of gantries but none on bridges.

Quote:
I am using the single consolidated file (TomTom Ov2) and the icons were for stationary cameras, not mobile ones.

Can you clarify if that is the Consolidated database or the Single File one? There is no Single Consolidated one....

Can you give us approximate locations of these cameras?

Finally did you have the latest database (15th Feb 2008) loaded?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few mobile camera locations along the M4, particularly between Reading and Swindon.

Since mobile cameras are used rather then fixed cameras, these will typically be a van parked on a bridge above the motoroway - hence your warnings near bridges.

Also, because mobile cameras are used, these may not be in position when you pass a location - unlike a fixed camera which is always there.

I've just visited the speed camera page of this site and scrolled along the M4 and the mobile locations which I saw have all been verified and are therefore 'valid'.

In addition to this, there are new SPECS cameras which are showing as being added since the last update.

Does this help?
TB303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
First of all what I refered to was exactly like the picture posted.

I have the single file which infact contains two seperate ov2 files - sc.ove and pmobile.ov2

I definily had the latest dataase loaded.

Can't confirm exact locations but I would say that certainly MOST of the cameras who appeared on the tomtom on the M4 - weren't there.

Many thanks,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are observing is warnings for Mobile Cameras. As you chose to use the Single File version of the database which does not differentiate between camera types, you will not have realised this.

If you switch to either of the other types you will see the Icon reflects the camera type and if you use our voice warnings you will also hear it i.e. 'Warning, Mobile Camera Ahead, Speed Limit 70 miles per hour' or 'Warning Gatso Ahead, Speed Limit 50 miles per hour' etc
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB303 wrote:
Thanks,
First of all what I refered to was exactly like the picture posted.

I have the single file which infact contains two seperate ov2 files - sc.ove and pmobile.ov2

I definily had the latest dataase loaded.

Can't confirm exact locations but I would say that certainly MOST of the cameras who appeared on the tomtom on the M4 - weren't there.

Many thanks,

The existence of Traffic Master sensors is immaterial as they hang off bridges on motorways and the M4 is one of only a few M-ways were safety camera vans operate frequently. Were these at the Western End of the English stretch? i.e. Wiltshire, Swindon area?

Almost certainly Mobile locations which by their nature are locations where vans 'may' operate.

Switch to the Consolidated or Speed Zoned version of our database for a much better and more informative experience and grab the real voice alerts whilst you're at it Very Happy
TB303
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
Maybe I will...

Was too lazy to bother figuring it out... What is Gatso anyway?

Thanks,
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatso is the traditional fixed camera which takes a picture of the REAR of your car

Truvelo takes a picture of the FRONT of your car

SPECS measures your average speed

Monitron/Redspeed clocks you if you jump a red light and also doubles up as a speed camera (hence the name Redspeed)

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatso - have a read on the download page right near the bottom.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truvelo can take a photo of either the FRONT or the REAR of the car - and you don't necessarily know how it's set up until the letter drops onto your doormat.

GPS_fan wrote:
]

Truvelo takes a picture of the FRONT of your car

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Truvelo can take a photo of either the FRONT or the REAR of the car - and you don't necessarily know how it's set up until the letter drops onto your doormat.

True!

There's a reversible Truvelo right on my doorstep with both Truvelo and Gatso road markings.

However, with the question as it was ("what's a Gatso"), I was trying to give as simple an answer as possible without causing unecessary confusion by giving an extended reply
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a regular along the M4, I can tell you that there are five pairs of overbridge cameras between Junctions 15 and 17. During the last month I've seen four of them actually leering at me (probably angrily, 'coz I'm a nice decent whitevanman who doesn't speed).

Can I just add, that every time I see any mobile camera at work, I always submit it, just like MaFt requested, even though it's already in the database - he really needs to get that sort of report, so that he can mark them as definitely live and kicking. For example, your first post might have recommended that the "missing" cameras should be removed because you didn't see anything - we get a lot of that. Because MaFt has my (and other people's) reports of activity, he can respond that the camera was actually seen by me operating at 12:45pm on 5th March 2008 (Mobiles 14111 and 7033).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raised a good point there, Dennis, but I think there's been some confusion and OP was possibly expecting fixed cameras at the various locations

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: