Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPaq 5550 with Netgear wireless router
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPaq 5550 with Netgear wireless router
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: iPaq 5550 with Netgear wireless router Reply with quote

Can anyone help me set this up. I've followed the instructions in the iPaq manual but the icon at the top still has a cross on it to indicate no connection. When I tap this it says "To connect to either the Internet or work, set up a new connection in settings" When I tap settings->Advanced->Network card I am taken to a list of Wireless networks. My wireless network is listed and it says it is "connected". Why does it not show me as connected and show the signal strength? Thanks for your help in advance
supersparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not say if you have ever had a connection.

I found that mine fails at times for no reason, and found a hard reset, taking the battery off, cured it.

It should connect auto.
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I've never had a connection before. First time I'm using wireless on both the router and on my iPaq. I've found something else out. When I turn off the WEP encryption on the router and ipaq it all works fine. When I switch on WEP on the router and iPaq it picks up a connection now but IE doesn't work when I go to a page, it says "The page you are looking for cannot be found". I'm using the following settings on my Netgear router:

Security: WEP
Authenticatoin: Shared Key
Encryption strength: 128bit
It gives me the option to add 4 keys: I've entered the same number for all 4 (26 character hex number).

On my iPaq I have done the following settings:
Data encryption: ticked
Network authentication (shared mode): unticked (although having this ticked has the same effect of not working)
The key is provided for me automatically: unticked
Network key: is the the 26 character hex number used on my router
key index: 1 (although changing the number on one key index changes the others to the same number. Hence all keys on iPaq 1 to 4 are the same, which is why I used the same key 1 to 4 on my router).
Enabled network access using IEEE 802.1x: unticked.

Using these settings it shows my network connection as connected. I get an icon at the top which shows two arrows, one going left the other going right. It displays the signal strength as full green bars.
supersparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BT Network 1200 router, and you must put the key onto your handheld, which should be on your router at the back or underneath.

If you go to your router manager window on your desktop does it show your handheld.
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supersparks wrote:
I have a BT Network 1200 router, and you must put the key onto your handheld, which should be on your router at the back or underneath.

If you go to your router manager window on your desktop does it show your handheld.

There doesn't seem to be any number on the actual router. My router doesn't show the attached devices of wireless devices. It only shows the devices that are attached via cable. Still trying to figure this out.
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Im running my iPAQ 5450 through a Netgear adsl broadband router dg 834g is this the same router you have? if so i may be able to help you set it up

Fletch
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fletch wrote:
Hi

Im running my iPAQ 5450 through a Netgear adsl broadband router dg 834g is this the same router you have? if so i may be able to help you set it up

Fletch

Yes this is the same as my router except mine doesn't have the built in ADSL modem. Mine is the (WGR614). I think the settings in on the firewall and ipaq would be very similar if not the same. I would very much appreciate the help. Thank you very much. We can do it through private messaging but would be nice to do it through newsgroups for the benefit of anyone else who may have the same problem in the future. Thanks
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, im using ppc 2002, first thing is, do you have a "Profile wizzard" in your wlan set up? this can be found if you click on the Wlan icon.

are you fully upto date with the the current rom version and driver set upfor the ipaq and are all of the drivers for the router upto date? i realize that we are using slightly different versions so i can only talk you through what i have which as i said works fine and was extreamly easy to set up

one other thing is why have you set the WEP to 128bit security mine is set at 64bit which i think you will find is more that adiquate if your using it at home.

check to see if you have the wizzard first which you have not mentioned and come back to me.

fletch
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fletch wrote:
Right, im using ppc 2002, first thing is, do you have a "Profile wizzard" in your wlan set up? this can be found if you click on the Wlan icon.

are you fully upto date with the the current rom version and driver set upfor the ipaq and are all of the drivers for the router upto date? i realize that we are using slightly different versions so i can only talk you through what i have which as i said works fine and was extreamly easy to set up

one other thing is why have you set the WEP to 128bit security mine is set at 64bit which i think you will find is more that adiquate if your using it at home.

check to see if you have the wizzard first which you have not mentioned and come back to me.

fletch

Thanks for all this help fletch, it is much appreciated. I've updated my iPaq to use the latest patches. I installed the latest ROM and then the latest WLAN drivers. The problem is still present. I've attempted to run setting with just 64bit but I have the same problem. I'm sure its something to do with the WEP. When I turn off all encryption it works fine. I'm sure that what ever I'm doing wrong, if I can get it working with either bit encryption then the other one will work as well.

As for the wizard, I don't seem to have this. This maybe a difference between PPC 2002 and PPC 2003.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is clearly a WEP issue. Where did you get the WEP key from and is this the same key that you are using on other WiFI connected devices in your WLAN?

You also mention you entered the same key into the 4 entry fields, you nned not do this so remove the additional three. It is possible that with WEP enabled you are not gettimg an IP address, can you manually configure an IP for your PPC in the correct range, connect and see if you can PING the PPC from another device on the WLAN?
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
This is clearly a WEP issue. Where did you get the WEP key from and is this the same key that you are using on other WiFI connected devices in your WLAN?

You also mention you entered the same key into the 4 entry fields, you nned not do this so remove the additional three. It is possible that with WEP enabled you are not gettimg an IP address, can you manually configure an IP for your PPC in the correct range, connect and see if you can PING the PPC from another device on the WLAN?

I made up the key using all "b" that way i know there would be no typing issues. Not really secure but I could always change it once I got it working. On the iPaq it has a drop down for "key index" and gives me options of 1 to 4. If i change the key on any of the indexes, the keys on the other index change so I always enter the key on index 1. On my router, I able to enter 4 keys as well. These keys can be different. When you say keys 2 to 4 are not needed, I'm assuming you mean on the router as I'm not able to change the settings on the iPaq. I will give this a go and report back if this worked or not.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other WiFi devices. It's just my router and my iPaq. My computers are wired to my router via cat5 cable. How do I configure the IP on the iPaq? At the moment, my router is acting as a DHCP server.
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to work now if my Netgear router use just key number 1 (i.e. keys 2 to 4 are blank). I'm pretty sure I tried this before but i must have done something wrong. Anyway, i'm now using a much more secure 128bit key. Thanks for all the help.
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you sorted it out, sorry i didn't get back sooner but sleep got in the way!!
mshah
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fletch wrote:
Glad you sorted it out, sorry i didn't get back sooner but sleep got in the way!!

No problem. I just really appreciate the help. All I need to do now is getting active sync working on wifi but I don't think this is possible with my siteup (desktop pc is wired to the wireless router and ipaq is trying to active sync to pc through the router.). I think I need a wireless card for my desktop. Will have to find out and look into it. Not gonna do that today, just gonna enjoy wireless surfing for now. Thanks again everyone who helped out!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is poosible to Sync in this config. ActiveSync looks for a PC running AS with the na,e you specify. As long as it coan be found on the LAN be it Wireless or Wired then it will work Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: