Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Prob with Garmin i3 re routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Prob with Garmin i3 re routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayjay365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Prob with Garmin i3 re routes Reply with quote

Hi,

I upgraded mine and my Mum's Gamin i3 map sys to City Navigator Europe NT vs 9, provided by Garmin Europe with unlock codes.

Since then, the option to 'Avoid Motorways' has changed to 'Avoid Highways'. Thought this odd, so I emailed Garmin europe last year to ask if avoiding highways was the same as avoiding motorways. They said yes, and assured me that it wouldn't avoid A roads and Duel carriageways.

But it does. So the only way to avoid motorways is not to use the 'avoid highways' option, but to put in via points along the roads you wish to travel. Not a happy bunny about this. The alternative is to take twice as long to get anywhere via B roads!!! ARGGGGHHHH!

Tested out this theory on a b road off the A6, progammed in to take us to Buxton, fastest route, but with option ticked to avoid highways. Although we were only about 100 yards from joining the A6, the garmin insisted we needed to use a different route, using B roads - even when we turned onto the A6, it still was insisting we come off and use the B roads. In the end I switched it off and used a map.

My sis had these probs from the start with her touch screen (think it's a nuvi) model and she has had the 'avoid highways' from scratch and V9 map.

I've taken this up with Garmin Europe and explained the prob, but no-one has replied.
I think there are lots of embarrassed faces around there.

ETA: Does anyone know how I can get back the avoid motorways (as in UK) back? Both came preloaded with vs 8 which has been replaced by vs 9, so I don't have a Cd to go back to vs 8.
jayjay365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP!

Anyone got any clues on this one? Anyone else suffer the same prob? Sad
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP! BUMP!

Not the same Unit or the same software [GPS 60CSX and CityNavigator v9 non-NT]

BUT

I have travelled thousands of miles in UK and europe without problems but when I set AVOID Highways I had appalling routes, avoiding 'A' roads!!!!!!!!!

My settings are usually :-

So my findings are:-
    Avoid Highways means avoid 'A' road!
    There is no setting to avoid Motorways!
    Avoid Toll Road does not avoid the Severn Bridge!
jayjay365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Strumble! Thanks for your reply! Glad it isn't just me, was beginning to think maybe there was something I was missing.

Soooo what's the answer? I have emailed Garmin Europe about this again. Will let you know if I get a reply. Mad

I emailed them last year when I updated to vs 9 and asked if the option to avoid highways would actually avoid A roads, etc, and they assured me it wouldn't do that. Rolling Eyes

ETA: I have a little old romahome, it's not fast enough to go on the motorways, but I would like to use the A roads and duel carriageways! Laughing Out Loud!
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When v9 came out it would not allow units to use the Swiss Toll Autoroutes. Later [3 months], they updated the unit software and it corrected it.

As a caravanner I towed 4200 miles to Rome and Sorento using my two units and only had one problem at Lake Garda. The new software has corrected that fault.

So your problem is not one I would have seen UNLESS I changed it to your settings, as I always prefer the Motorways and the AutoRoutes in Europe!
jayjay365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's what Garmin Europe have to say:

You may have seen "Avoid Motorways" previously but this would have changed to work universally across Europe and the USA. The i3 is the basic entry model and avoid highways will avoid the roads that you have listed. Some of our higher spec units have the option to be more specific in road preference. I have included more information below regarding routing algorithm's.

The vehicle settings are defined as a mask which indicates what travel is legally allowed on a link or turn-restriction. It does not specify any information about width, weight limits, height restrictions or any other dimensionality of the particular vehicle type.

So really the key benefit is to keep your vehicle where it is legally allowed to travel. Unfortunately, this is often not where your vehicle is physically able to travel.

We do hope to eventually add data sources that provide more attribution for vehicle dimensionality at some point but I am unable to give a time scale for this.

The other function of the different vehicle mode is to change the ETA (Estimated Time on Arrival) and ETE (Estimated Time En-route).

Each road contains routing data and the GPS unit makes a mathematical calculation based on the speed limits of each road. The GPS unit does not have the ability to know which type of road is best suited for your vehicle. If at any time the GPS routes you down an unsuitable road for your vehicle I suggest you carry on along the current road until the GPS re-calculates a new route.

Our auto-routing algorithm attempts to find reasonable routes based on user preferences and limitations of processing time and memory space. The preference of "Faster" and "Shorter" does not necessarily yield the absolute fastest or shortest route, rather, the routing algorithm uses the preference as a guide for decision-making when calculating the route. Also, we frequently update and improve our algorithms, which may cause different route paths to be calculated by different versions of our software even if all the preferences are the same. In all cases, we strive to calculate routes that are reasonable and that allow the customer to efficiently navigate to the intended destination.

Kind regards

So there you go. Sad
jayjay365
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So avoid highways will avoid the roads that you have listed
means that you have to programme it to avoid say the M6 by listing it somewhere???? Even more confused now!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So avoid highways will avoid the roads that you have listed
means that you have to programme it to avoid say the M6 by listing it somewhere???? Even more confused now!

I suspect they are referring to the roads you referred to in your original email to them.

i.e.

Quote:
i3 is the basic entry model and avoid highways will avoid the roads that you have listed [in your original email].

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: