Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Warnings for opposite carriageway.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Warnings for opposite carriageway.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Hat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Camera Warnings for opposite carriageway. Reply with quote

I'm using the PocketGps cameras (Jan 08 d/base) with my new TomTom One V3 and have noticed one slight annoyance in that I am being warned of some Red Light cameras and some SPECS on the opposite side of the road, it doesn't happen for every one, just the odd few.
When setting up my POI warnings I made sure that the option to 'Warn only if POI is on Route' had a big green tick in them all, but still I get spurious warnings.
Is this a feature of the database or the device?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is down to the device, if a camera is located on the opposite side of a motorway or Duel Carriageway the device will not warn you as it treats both sides as separate roads (barrier separation), if its any other type of road then you get a warning of cameras that face the opposite direction to that you are travelling in - TomTom does not support directional camera warning, even though the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera database does for the systems that cater for it using custom POI files - Mike
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know it would be better to un-check the warn only if on route because if you are driving along with no route planned and you come up to a camera you will not get a warning about it and that might cost you dearly. Wink
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Mr_Hat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy replies, and now you explain it, it makes sense.
And Ian, thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought of that, nice one!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could do as I do, which is always drive with a route planned and check the Warn only when POI on route box - I find this reduces the false alarms from cameras on adjacent roads which occurs leaving the box unchecked.
Each to their own though, and we all use the device differently, I would suggest you try a week with it set up to warn all the time then a week with it set to warn only on route - then make up your mind as to what you find best for yourself - Mike
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know mike i would never say anything different from you or say that you are wrong but when you say about (false alarmsfrom cameras on adjasent roads), i would like to say that some cameras on the other end of the road can catch you for speeding and it may be good to get warnings of these cameras. If i am wrong mike please correct me as i am preety sure about this. Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameras on the other side of the road can at times be used to catch you out, these are Truvello types, where these are idented as bi-directional you will get a warning when travelling in either direction, the same applies for bi-directional Gatso cameras on duel carriageways. (The database contains the information to make this warning automatic, there are no additional setup steps required Truvello cameras are contained within the Gatso section)

As for cameras at the other end of the road being able to catch you - they do exist but only as mobiles, and even so it would depend upon the length of the road etc Wink - Mike
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, makes things a bit more understanding about the database. Did not know that the site automatically new the difference. You learn something new every day. Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not an automatic process, it is dependent upon the diligence of the membership to spot this information and notify the site, The verifiers for checking such information and MaFt for administering the changes and issuing the updated releases.
IIRC you have just been awarded a lifetime membership for such diligence Thumbs Up - sharing information in this way, is, in the long run for the benefit of us all - Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
... where these are idented as bi-directional you will get a warning when travelling in either direction, the same applies for bi-directional Gatso cameras on duel carriageways. (The database contains the information to make this warning automatic, there are no additional setup steps required Truvello cameras are contained within the Gatso section)

I didn't realise TomTom devices could use the directional data yet or is this due to accurate placement on the map?

The "try it out both ways and make your own mind up" is the best advice anyway.
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I didn't realise TomTom devices could use the directional data yet or is this due to accurate placement on the map?
It cannot do this, but by careful placement of the camera POI location within the database it can be achieved to a certain extent, although the newer version 7 software has degraded this slightly IMHO leading to more false alarms than with other earlier software versions - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was going to add a note about this. With successive software revisions, TomTom seem to have made the "capture window" bigger, so that now many more cameras slightly off your route STILL throw up a warning.
This is especially noticeable with cameras on roundabouts at the end of motorway exit slip roads, when you are staying on the motorway.
Also cameras on the other side of a dual carriageway which only occasionally triggered a false alert, now do so at least 50% of the time.

There's nothing we can do about it, I suspect it was done to make sure that TT's badly placed POIs wouldn't be ignored by their own system!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT mapping has degraded in this respect since the x00 series in my own experience. The x20 series is particularly susceptible to it. But FWIWIMHO the TT cameras are doing exactly the same spurious warnings for cameras at the other side of dual carriageways and motorways (when they've actually got camera sites!). I ran the TT cameras for a few days on all three of my devices recently just to convince myself that the pgpsw database is far superior. Quite apart from showing cameras where there haven't been any for months (old temp cameras in their database as fixed cameras), a number of local cameras warn for the opposite side of a dual carriageway. If you had opportunity to compare earlier map versions with current ones, you'd see less twists and turns in the more recent maps. I suspect this means they are less accurate (GPS position-wise) with the result that our camera POIs located by Long/Lat position are "moving" in relation to TT's maps.

Earlier map

Later map

I suspect we could do something about it, namely relocate all cameras a few feet off the side of the road. But that would presumably give problems to users of non TT devices, not to mention the large resources needed in order to do it.

I would imagine that so long as TomTom see fit to reduce memory in their devices AND include extraneous features like mp3 players, their mapping will continue to suffer in this respect. I wonder how long it will be before they issue maps with "virtual" roads like the London Underground maps which bear little resemblance to the street level layout. How I wish they'd get back to the core feature of Navigation.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Or you could do as I do, which is always drive with a route planned and check the Warn only when POI on route box - I find this reduces the false alarms from cameras on adjacent roads which occurs leaving the box unchecked.

Alternative option I use is to have the Go 720 setup to warn on route and the O2 XDA Orbit with TomTom V6 using the same camera database but warn on route deselected, and no route planned.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much a newcomer to the PGPSW Database and used it on my Nuvi 250 for the first time on a long trip this weekend between Whitby and Aberdeen.

On single carriageway roads (A697 north of Coldstream, for example) I found repeated irrelevant warnings of uni-directional cameras to be a pain. My Talex Lite only identifies relevant cameras ie those monitoring in my direction of travel. Can I set the Garmin to do the same?

In Longframlington, there was no warning for GATSO:347@30. Although the camera is active and shown on Google Earth, the database gave no warning for either direction for travel. This has been reported to PGPSW but, I wonder, how common these database problems are? I've never encountered anything similar in 2 years with the Talex Lite.

The A90 between Dundee and Aberdeen is completely dualised but, contrary to what has been posted earlier in this thread, the PGPSW database was giving an alert for all (or nearly all) the GATSOs on the opposite carriageway. Is this a database problem or a Garmin problem?

First impressions are that the system is not as User Friendly or accurate as the Talex Lite so any advice in fine tuning things will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: