Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - excel to readable file for Garmin POI loader
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

excel to readable file for Garmin POI loader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runkjunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: excel to readable file for Garmin POI loader Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have all my lat / long files in excel and can't figure out how to convert for Garmin POI loader to read.

I have set up columns Lat / Long / Name and saved as a CSV file, no luck

please help...thanks

runkjunk
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first couple of lines from a Garmin POI file, make sure you get your data into the same format, note you can right click the file on the PC and choose "NotePad" to open / edit or view the file if you want to see the data in text mode rather than spreadsheet:

;Longitude,Latitude,Name,Details
-1.85139,53.79059,"Thornton Post Office","Free. Kipping Lane"
-1.83481,53.80735,"J&H Market","Free. Allerton"

The first line is ignored by the device, each subsequent line stores a location complete with name and any other details required in the optional fourth section

At a guess you have the Lat/ Long the wrong way around? - Mike
runkjunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: excel to readable file for Garmin POI loader Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

But does this mean I have to cut paste to notepad then add all commas etc, or is their a quicker way to convert? I have 1000's of waypoints.

runkjunk
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just right click the csv file and choose Open With, Notepad - the commas will be allready in the data, if your lat/ long are the wrong way around I would use Excel to move the columns BEFORE looking at what you have in NotePad as Excel is easier to manipulate spreadsheet data around - Mike
runkjunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: excel to readable file for Garmin POI loader Reply with quote

Ok, I think I'm almost there, file looks good as csv in notepad. I save file with manually typed .CSV extension, but when I try to load in garmin poi loader I receive following message:

There is a data format on line 5 of file C:\users\runkjunk\desktop\new folder\historic.csv. The data earlier in the file will be written, but no more data can be read from this file.

The file is saved on sd card with only one kb of data in loader as .GPI file. And I cannot open this file using poi loader

Thanks for your help...runkjunk
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the csv file using NotePad then use copy/ paste to put the first 7 lines of your POI file into the forum as a reply then one of us can have a look at the file and try to identify what's wrong - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: excel to readable file for Garmin POI loader Reply with quote

runkjunk wrote:
Ok, I think I'm almost there, file looks good as csv in notepad. I save file with manually typed .CSV extension,

Check what the file name really is. You may be getting filename.csv.txt doing it that way with NOTEPAD.

Try just opening the file then saving it on exit - don'#t change anything in the filenme at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: