Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Q's re: new Garmin Quest II
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Q's re: new Garmin Quest II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firestormimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie Q's re: new Garmin Quest II Reply with quote

I have bought a 2nd hand Garmin Quest II for use in my car and on my motorbike but having had it 2 days am totally lost. Can anybody answer the following:

1) My GPS has City Navigator NT v8 on it - how do I update it to v9, and do I have to pay, also is it worth doing?

2) When I go to 'Map Updates' on the Garmin website and I type the serial no. it comes up with ' No available updates' surely v9 is an update?

3) What is a Legacy operating system and is it anything to do with my GPS? - I saw these on the garmin 'updates' part of their website

4) What is Nroute and is it anything to do with my GPS? - I saw these on the garmin 'updates' part of their website

5) Why doesn't my GPS show up on the 'My Computer' page of windows when it is plugged in via the USB? And if it is not there how can you move files to it i.e. POI's etc - I am keen to get the speed cameras on that this ssite promotes

6) The quest II is meant to come with maps already on it (which cannot be updated) but also comes with a DVD of City Navigator - I do not understand what the unit comes with if you have to add on City Navigator?

Many thanks in advance

Nick
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, will try and answer some of your questions but first a question for you,
Did you get a yellow slip of paper with an unlock code from the original owner?

Dave
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) V10 (2008) has just been released. Once you register the unit with Garmin you'll be able to go through their procedure to get a free DVD of the latest maps. Once you have that you need to go back and pay for the unlock code for your unit.

2) v9 has just been withdrawn. v10 is now avalible. Others could see the v10 update when i couldn't so it may take a day or two to come through for you. Also i had the same when i followed that procedure, however once registered with Garmin i could use another procedure to find the v10 update for my unit. See this thread

3) Legancy OS = Windows 98, Me The older no longer supported operating systems.
4) ??

5) The older models like yours and mine are not Mass Storage Devices and so do not show up as drives. You use POILoader to load POIs and the safety cameras on your unit. Download POILoader here

6) What maps are preloaded (Page 47 of the manual - link below) and what does the DVD say is on it?

All the updates and software for the Quest 2 are avalible here from Garmin. If you are not sure of anything - ask.

The Quest 2 manual is here 1.9 Mb PDF
firestormimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this.

Yes, I did get the yellow slip and I have registered with Garmin so I will try ordering the disk tonight.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: