Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beeping noise from TomTom720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beeping noise from TomTom720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cinkel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Beeping noise from TomTom720 Reply with quote

Every once in awhile my TomTom makes this strange beeping noise. Is it because it's losing sattellites?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Beeping noise from TomTom720 Reply with quote

Cinkel wrote:
Every once in awhile my TomTom makes this strange beeping noise. Is it because it's losing sattellites?
No. Have you got TMC? or have you set it to warn when over a certain speed in safety pref?
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using the hands free when you hear the beeping if so this is normal, when in a handsfree call navigation alerts are disabled so not to interupt your call but you will hear a beep instead of a voice alert.

also check to see if you have set any of your POI's to alert you when you are near them. when you hear a beep look at your screen to see if you have any icons flashing.

if its not any of the above then give a bit more information what your actually doing with your 720 at the time you hear the beeps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it's an overspeed warning.
Turn it off in Change Preferences / Safety Preferences / 'Warn when overspeed' or 'Warn when over a set speed'

The problem with these settings are that there is often a speed error in the mapping data, so you suddenly get a 30mph section on a motorway for example, and the TT decides you're speeding!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from PM (Cinkel, please use the forums rather than PMs for questions, especially if you don't see the replies)

Cinkel wrote:
No, I don't have any warning beeps set to on position. I do not connect my phone thru Tom Tom. Also, I know the battery is fully charged.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andy said...Copied from PM (Cinkel, please use the forums rather than PMs for questions, especially if you don't see the replies)

Cinkel PM wrote:
I don't have the traffic, I have not set it to warn me when I come close to a POI or in fact, I have not set it to warn me about anything. I do not connect my phone through it.
It makes approx. 3 beeps in a row for no reason

Like Andy says! Check your speed settings again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or as shaun says, what are you doing when it beeps?
Cinkel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: beep noise Reply with quote

TomTom720, no audible beeps set, no phone connected. I'm just driving, and all of a sudden it beeps a few times then stops. I've been turning the volume off since the beeps are annoying.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're SURE that the 'Warn when overspeed' or 'Warn when over a set speed' boxes aren't ticked in Safety Preferences page 1?

Just because YOU didn't tick them, doesn't mean they haven't got ticked by the 'TT Home fairies'!

Nothing visible on-screen? Not the TT speed cameras? (which also keep getting switched on every time I connect to Home).
Cinkel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: beeping noise and new problem Reply with quote

this is an intermittent problem. went out today for a drive and no beeps at all. however a new problem:

TomTom directions are perfect, however voice comes on and tells you to do the wrong things, also after inital route is planned, it re-calculates it over again two or three times.

I downloaded a new driving icon (Mario bros) and a new voice. Could one of those two contain a virus which effected my TomTom?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: beeping noise and new problem Reply with quote

Cinkel wrote:
this is an intermittent problem. went out today for a drive and no beeps at all. however a new problem:

TomTom directions are perfect, however voice comes on and tells you to do the wrong things, also after inital route is planned, it re-calculates it over again two or three times.
Have you tried contacting your local Priest?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: beeping noise and new problem Reply with quote

Cinkel wrote:

I downloaded a new driving icon (Mario bros) and a new voice. Could one of those two contain a virus which effected my TomTom?

Well ok then, sensible head on again. The voice...a new one and it does not work and you wonder if it might be the problem? Rolling Eyes What happens then if you put Kate or Jane back on? That will soon answer your own question on that.

I am still convinced your beeping is the speed warning. Shove a paperclip up its chuff anyway again just to be sure. Check those Fairies that Andy mentions too. The Icon will not affect your Go either.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: beeping noise and new problem Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:
Shove a paperclip up its chuff anyway

Clap Thanks for that! Now, how do I get this coffee off the keyboard?
Not Worthy Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: