Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - weird happenings on 920
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

weird happenings on 920

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: weird happenings on 920 Reply with quote

I travel to France every week by air. Last week the 920 took 45 minutes to lock onto a satellite. I tried a reset and a factory reset all to no avail.
This week it locked to the satellites within 1 minute as it always does, so once having the signal I entered a destination, after 30 seconds the 920 tells me it cannot calculate a route. So I try a different destination, same result. Try a reset no difference. I then move fifty yards to park up properly so that I can do a backup from the laptop, one last go and woopy it planned a route.
has anyone else experienced the same problems and can anyone hazard a guess as to what causes them.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inability to plan a route could be down to the fact that you were too far off the road map, sat in airport car parks will put you quite some distance away from the nearest road, if the device doesn't know where you are on the map it won't compute a route - this would also explain why moving a short distance got it all to work.
As for the 45 mins for a sat position fix I am not too sure, GPS device don't like travelling a long way between use, but I wouldn't have thought UK to France would be sufficient to cause this - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to your using it in France, how long had it been switched off i.e. when was its last valid fix in the UK?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't described the circumstances fully. Are you arriving in France, getting into a car, switching on the 920, then moving off before getting a fix? I think you are probably too experienced for this to be the cause though.

In any event, I would have expected that if you travel a long way with the device switched off, at restart it would be sufficiently "lost" (from where it was last in contact) to take quite some time to re-establish a fix. I took my former GO 710 to Corfu last summer (to test a map application for Mike) and when I finally switched it on there, it took quite a long time to get a fix with a very clear sky position - I can't remember how long because I was expecting that, so I left it outside on the balcony whilst I went inside to get outside an Amstel (I don't recommend this cure if you're about to drive somewhere). definitely nowhere near 45 minutes, though.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No signal, It was used maybe a few days before in the UK, but as I said it has never happened before. With my old 700 and 910 a quick way to get a fix was to do an advance planning but that did not work either.

Mike, regarding the unable to calculate route I was on a road that was clearly shown as the current position.

Howard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may simply have had an out of date almanac. If you ensure you have a fix in the UK before departure and hence current ephemeris data and almanac tables it will speed up the lock-on when you get to France
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, I would have had a fix at least 48 hours before departure as I load an itinerary onto the unit using home after downloading quick fix data
Howard
rhino08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar happened to me last week. I used the 920 when travelling to a UK airport, flew to Germany then had to wait a good 20 minutes to get a fix over there (having used it earlier that day). Then when I used it again three days later, still in Germany, it took 30 minutes to get a fix. Since I've been back in the UK it has been back to normal!

Other quirks that I've noticed are that if a route is active and I switch the unit off it sometimes switches itself back on again. The unit is in a case and there is no possibility that I accidently press the button. I also find that on occasion it can take a while to start-up after pressing the power button, so much so that I press it many times before I'm sure it has turned on.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one little point, the two of you that are experiencing problems with GPS position fix, are you remaining stationary while the device acquires the signals or simply driving off waiting for it to grab a position fix whilst moving? - Mike
rhino08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time it happened I waited a few minutes (between 5 and 10) and then drove off and it eventually got a fix. The second time I was stationary.
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was stationery for at least 20 mins couldn't wait any longer and moved off.
Howard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: