Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom Home wants to download everything!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom Home wants to download everything!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: New TomTom Home wants to download everything! Reply with quote

Hi - got a TTGO700 - running Home 2.1.2.121. Every time I run the program, it wants to automatically download the stuff I already have installed, eg the application, maps and voices. I can deselect them all and just download what I want, ie the map updates, but it's a pain doing it every time. Anyone know of a way to stop this?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised it's offering you the "Application" - if you click on More does it say it's app v7.161 as per your signature? (I seem to recall seeing somewhere that 7.162 is the latest one, or am I wrong?).

I presume you bought and downloaded the map. It will continue to show as available for download for twelve months after you've bought it, a right royal pain. But worth knowing in case you have a small disaster - you can download it again any time you like. The flip side is you have to deselect it from the download page every time (think yourself lucky, I have to deselect three of the things). I'd let it download the voices if I were you and hope they'll not show up again. You can always delete them from the GO if you don't want them (Only after doing a full Windows Explorer backup, of course).

Anyway, if it wants to offer you stuff every time you log in and update your GO, there's no way I know of to stop it doing so. I find that cursing TomTom occasionally helps (but nottalot!)

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted, it's offering to download 7.162... will back everything up and update the app, then see what happens afterwards...
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... downloaded and installed the update. The TT still thinks it's 7.161, if I run the updater again if offers v6.520!!! But non of the maps / voices!?!?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT thinks?? Or is it that the TT thinks so when you use Operate my GO in TT Home? It is a sad fact that TT Home does NOT tell you the correct App version when you Operate my GO.

timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it is 7.162 - via TTHome it's incorrect. Will check again after a reboot of PC...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reboot doesn't make any difference. Treat this as evidence to substantiate the advice you get from here, namely NEVER USE TT HOME for anything you can do without it (e.g. backups and downloads of our safety camera database). Unfortunately, you have to use it for updates and downloads of new maps.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis is correct, you always need to look at the software version on the device itself NOT via home.

As for the constant offers of downloads you already have... a lot depends on what you have downloaded on THAT PC. I regularly connect my 720 to three different PCs (one at home and two at work) and the stuff Home offers me is different on each.
I realise that is not the complete answer though!

If it annoys you, just let it download stuff again.
I did this recently with a load of Irish and American voices that I got bored of un-ticking every time!
I let it install them and then immediately (using Home) removed them from the Go again.
It now doesn't nag me about them any more.

On a general note though: why, oh why, can't TomTom put an "un-tick everything" box in Home??
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

On a general note though: why, oh why, can't TomTom put an "un-tick everything" box in Home??

Andy, I test software for a living. I'm always cognizant of how 'user friendly' the software is. Unfortunately, my opinion often differs from the developers' opinion .. and I lose Sad

I would agree...the software for TomTom Home (version 2.221, anyway) is not would I would call 'user friendly' in many areas; you have listed one of them.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy. When i was using my PC everything was ok and then when i changed to my Laptop and Updated my GO it offered me everything again. Aswell as it being on your TT it has to be on your PC/Laptop also. But a strange thing happened about 6 weeks later it offered me some stuff again and i ended up letting it download it again and everything is fine now.

There is a few reasons for this but download what it wants and see how things are then. Wink
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when 7.163 comes along (or whatever the next release will be) what can I do if TTH is still offering 6.520? Or do I hope it'll realise the newer version is the one to go for?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails, there is a way round when Home screws up like this.

If you remove the system files fom the TomTom (all the loose files that are NOT in any folders) Home will try to reload software already downloaded and saved on your PC.
If you remove all the downloads from the TomTom/Home/downloads/program folder on the PC, it will force Home to download the latest software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: