Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman N40i Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman N40i Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamalsid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Navman N40i Maps Reply with quote

I am new to satnav and was bought an N40i for xmas but noticed that the maps are out of date, I live on a 3-4 yr old housing estate that doesn't show up on my map. On Navman-Store you have to buy all of Western Europe to get the UK maps and that costs the best part of £100!!! I only want UK is there anywhere else to get maps for the N-Series that doesn't involve buying lots of maps I will never use?

Also how do I tell what version maps I have installed?

Anyone know how often new maps are released and when the next update for the N-Series is likely to be?

And another question, is the traffic pack worth £60?

Is it possible to use maps from other satnav companies, like TOMTOM for example? You can get a UK map from them for about £30-40 I think, and its a download not a CD that you have to wait for in the post.

Do Navamn have any kind of mapshare technology?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but getting frustrated trying to find answers on the net.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman N40i Maps Reply with quote

jamalsid wrote:
I am new to satnav and was bought an N40i for xmas but noticed that the maps are out of date, I live on a 3-4 yr old housing estate that doesn't show up on my map. On Navman-Store you have to buy all of Western Europe to get the UK maps and that costs the best part of £100!!! I only want UK is there anywhere else to get maps for the N-Series that doesn't involve buying lots of maps I will never use?

Also how do I tell what version maps I have installed?

Anyone know how often new maps are released and when the next update for the N-Series is likely to be?

And another question, is the traffic pack worth £60?

FirstIs it possible to use maps from other satnav companies, like TOMTOM for example? You can get a UK map from them for about £30-40 I think, and its a download not a CD that you have to wait for in the post.

Do Navamn have any kind of mapshare technology?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but getting frustrated trying to find answers on the net.

First, Welcome to the Forum. Depends what you mean by out of date. The maps on your N40i are a few years old and that is because it takes time from the mapping guys to convert the maps for use on your device. You have TeleAtlas mapping on it and if you go to Preferences on your N40i (second button down on the right) and press the 'About' button you will see that it says N40i SmartST 2006SE. Now scroll through the 20 or so pages until you come to Europe and see that the maps are probably Jan 2006. Another set of maps were due to be available in November 2007 but are now due somewhere about mid-April.
As to the traffic pack (TMC), that depends on how much travelling you do and whether you regularly encounter traffic hold-ups which you could have avoided if you had known about them. Have a look at the Forum on this site about the system. At the moment there is only one station brodcasting TMC data (ClassicFM) but that is due to change sometime in the nearish future when a whole load of new stations are due to come on board. Again, see the other Forum with lots of detailed info. here
I'll say no to your question about using other manufacturers mapping as they are all/mostly designed for the system that they have been prepared for.....however, some people have hacked their device and installed other software. Rolling Eyes Yes, some sites can let you have software to download rather than supplying CD based data. ViaMichelin is one but that has problems of its own.
The cost of new maps varies but for your device, it is around £99 for each region - yours is Europe but even when you could buy individual countries they were not much less so it made sense to buy the whole region. Crying or Very sad
Mapshare....No.

Will that do for starters Question
jamalsid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thats great.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: