Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's The Best Camara Database Download?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's The Best Camara Database Download?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuttifrutti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: What's The Best Camara Database Download? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm not too certain which is the best of the three options for my Tomtom to download.

I've actually downloaded one yesterday and loaded on my Tomtom (this one... pgpsw-speed-cams-xxxxx) but do i have to download the other two aswell or should I have installed one of the other two INSTEAD of this one.

What works best folks?

Thanks

Ian
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to install ONE of the files.

As for which is the best it's up to you.

Quote:
Single File: Contains all the speed cameras in a single file irrespective of type. This category contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories

Consolidated by Type: Contains one file for each type of speed camera. This is just the main categories and none of the subcategories that show speed limits

Speed Zoned: Contains the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type. If you want the above but with subcategories of the Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS databases to show speed related cameras

You can of course try one then unload it and try another.
tuttifrutti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Paul... so i'm assuming the contents of each set of files acts differently on your Tomtom. That's what i'm trying to understand.
Is there a "best one" of the three sets, do they do different things etc etc

Thanks

Ian
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read mikealders reply here
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for some additional "light" reading have a look at This Page #5 details the Spoken Alerts, how to put them on the device, configure them and where to get the pre-configured voice packs from.
I only ever use the Speed Zoned setup on my devices as it offers the most information, but each user is different in their specific needs hence the different download types for the actual database - Mike
tuttifrutti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that paul. As ever on here that's most helpful.

A couple of questions ref Mike's comment to the other poster:

Quote:
48 files is correct there are 24 ov2 files and 24 bmp files that make up the Speed zoned file set

Firstly i'm assuming that i'm only activating the 24 ov2 files within the Tomtom. Surely can't "activate" a bitmap?
Secondly, now i'm deciding to use the speed zoned file which seems the more extensive, do i have to take out the previous single file. I do have a 1 gig memory, or just leave it there?
And lastly, with the speed zoned files installed that's going to start warning me via voices instead of bleeps etc of oncoming cameras and also tell me what speed I need to adhere to?

Thanks

ian
tuttifrutti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Mike. Think I was typing as you were posting but that will be very helpful.

mikealder wrote:
I only ever use the Speed Zoned setup on my devices as it offers the most information, but each user is different in their specific needs hence the different download types for the actual database - Mike

Out of interest, what do you guys use. I know as you say it's a personal thing but be interested if you experienced folk use the voice warnings or not too?

Thanks

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the Speed Camera file you have currently put on the device or you will get double warnings, it will be named "Pocketgps_uk.....ov2" and "Pocketgps_uk.......bmp" these files will be in your map folder.

The figure of 24 is a little out of date as the download will also contain a set of files called PMobiles, these are provisional mobile locations, they have not been checked so there accuracy might not be as well defined as the other data sets. If you don't want PMobiles on the device simply don't install them.
There are infact 62 files which cover 31 speed camera categories in the current Speed Zoned file set.
For spoken alerts have a read of the link in my previous post, if you get stuck just shout and someone will answer.

For subsequent updates to the Speed Camera database simply copy the ov2 files to the map folder, you do not need to re-configure the warnings when performing an update, this should be a one off job

I have used spoken alerts ever since they were made available on both PDA and PNA devices, they just provide a better warning containing more detail, it also negates the need to check the screen to see what the speed should be - Mike
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two files the consolidate and the speed zone.

I then get two warning the speed and a shorter speed cam warning this works for me.
tuttifrutti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
will also contain a set of files called PMobiles, these are provisional mobile locations, they have not been checked so there accuracy might not be as well defined as the other data sets. If you don't want PMobiles on the device simply don't install them.

Out of interest, do you guys (Mike especially) have the PMobile ones installed and do you have them set up with sound warnings or do you feel these are not worth using?

Thanks

ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "pMobiles" are there as an extra insurance if you want EVERY POSSIBLE warning. You have to accept that they are un-proven, un-confirmed reports of sites.
If you do use them, it's doubly useful if you can report every site you see that is actually manned.

As a verifier, I use a set of files very similar to the pMobile files, they just seem to appear for checking more often! Crying or Very sad

As Mike says the figure of 24 is out of date. At last count the "speed-zoned" version of the database should have 31 data files with an .ov2 extension if you include the "pMobiles":

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var.ov2
(8)
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba.ov2
(7)
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile_tba.ov2
(7)
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
(1)
pocketgps_uk_specs_20.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_40.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_50.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_60.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_70.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba.ov2
(7)
pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2
(1)
=31 total

Add to that the 31 ".bmp" icon files of the same names and the 31 ".ogg" files of the same names if you have the optional voice warnings.

So you can think of EACH camera POI as a set of three files:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2
etc.

Last edited by Andy_P on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, in answer to your question, I do not use the PMobile files on my device, Like Andy has said above, some of us use a different set of data in order to check submissions prior inclusion within the main database.
To be honest if I didn't have verifier files on my device I still wouldn't bother with the PMobiles, they were made available at the request of a few vocal members of the site a while back - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: