Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is iTIS responsible for poor data?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is iTIS responsible for poor data?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Is iTIS responsible for poor data? Reply with quote

My 520T shows no time delay on the side bar, as, it seems, does everyone else’s.
However, between J6 and J10 on the M1 it has been advising of a contra flow within a delay of 2.56hrs since the 23rd December.
I believe, in the UK, iTIS is the organisation that has the responsibility of managing the TMC broadcast information via Classic FM. Does anyone know if they have any obligation (financial or otherwise) to update data transmitted or is it a case of update when someone has the inclination?
I understood there were also “pilot vehicles” logistic companies and the like feeding updated data to iTIS. So why the inaccuracies?
Could the Pocket GPSW team make a visit to them on the users behalf, and shed some light on the issues?
I for one would welcome some clarification before loosing total confidence in what could and should be an excellent asset to road travel.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it is supposed to be the same data source for the TT Traffic service and the RDS-TMC service.

I have tried both on my 720, and the TT Traffic service gives correct delay info etc.

The RDS-TMC seems to be totally screwy on v7 software. I rarely see a delay on the sidebar, when I do it is invaribly one minute or has no delay info it all.

I have logged support calls with TT and they have not got a clue as to why - try various different files, resets, go back to v7.020 software and it makes no difference.

I urge you , and anyone else with a x20T to log a support call with TT so that hey at least try and fix it.

It was bad enough with the old TMC receiver that didn't get a signal, now we have a TMC receiver that does get a signal, but v7 software that doesn't seem to work!!

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the findings Andy has made, since vs7 all you get for a delay is either 1 min or nothing, I don't have a GPRS account to the TT system but I do suspect it is the vs7 software that isn't handling the iTIS information correctly when supplied via RDS.
iTIS have previously told me they do not output delays of a huge magnitude as they would be unreliable, therefore I doubt the close to three hours delay reported originated from them.
Watch this space for some information as I have previously discussed with iTIS the possibility of writing an article on how it all works - it is an interesting system but a little education from the data supplier might be of use, and they are local (ish) to my home town - Mike
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]

Mike, an article would be interesting in helping us understand how the data is gathered, transmitted, and updated etc. I look forward to hearing from you.
It would appear from what is being said here that it is the Tom Tom software that's at fault in showing inaccurate delay times rather than the provider of the data iTIS.
I have also now raised the issue with TT support.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: