Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 7xx AC power adaptor?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 7xx AC power adaptor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Nuvi 7xx AC power adaptor? Reply with quote

I just got the Nuvi 750. I wish that I could use the device, (set waypoints, create routes, simulate a drive) while it is charging using the computer USB power.

But I can't. Even disconnecting the USB hub from a computer the Nuvi still goes into communication mode even though there is no computer to communicate with.

Does anyone have the AC power adapter? From the photo on the Garmin site the AC adaptor also appears to uses the USB jack. I'd like to know if the unit can be used (Create waypoints, create routes, run a simulation) when it's on AC power.

Thanks to anyone who knows the answer.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mode seems to be triggered by the cable - so even if you plug this into another charger (eg car USB charger) it goes into this mode. Try another USB cable - some that I have don't trigger this mode on my 660 - allowing me to do what you want to do.
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just created a route on my 760T whilst the AC Adaptor is connected without any problems. I haven't tried simulating a route whilst on AC Apadtor power, but see no reason why that shoudn't work. The AC adaptor is Garmin AC Adapter Cable 010-10723-00 (with part number 362-00043-04 on the adapter body) which is available from Halfords for £20. I confirm that it connects into the mini USB socket on the unit. Smile
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just seen you are US based, so Halfords UK is no use to you! Embarassed
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradders2 wrote:
Sorry, just seen you are US based, so Halfords UK is no use to you! Embarassed

Thanks bradders2. Your first post is what I need to know. I know where to get one. I just needed to know if it would solve my problem before dropping $25 down on one.

I've tested a pile of old USB cables I have hanging around. None of them let the unit stay active. It looks like I need the Garmin AC adaptor.
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I just had a response to my email to Garmin from a few days ago.

They tell me that the AC adapter mentioned above will cause the Nuvi to go into mass storage mode, as will any powered USB cable.

I guess that they don't know that there are exceptions as I'm sure that bradders2's experience is true.

So I called the support line.

They told me that to use the Nuvi on AC power I need to get a AC power adapter that plugs into the cradle mount... They suggest the AC adaptor sold for the StreetPlot 550. But it doesn't come with a second cradle so I also need to buy a second suction cup mount in order to get a second cradle.

Hmmm...
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very strange Confused

crazyfingers wrote:
Quote:
Hmm.. I just had a response to my email to Garmin from a few days ago.

They tell me that the AC adapter mentioned above will cause the Nuvi to go into mass storage mode, as will any powered USB cable.

I guess that they don't know that there are exceptions as I'm sure that bradders2's experience is true.

So I called the support line.

They told me that to use the Nuvi on AC power I need to get a AC power adapter that plugs into the cradle mount... They suggest the AC adaptor sold for the StreetPlot 550. But it doesn't come with a second cradle so I also need to buy a second suction cup mount in order to get a second cradle.

Hmmm...

I've just connected the AC Adaptor to my nuvi 760T again and it fires up without having to switch it on. I could then operate it normally and perform tasks such as editing a route, viewing map etc.

Is it just possible that there's a difference between the 750 & 760?

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyfingers wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have the AC power adapter? From the photo on the Garmin site the AC adaptor also appears to uses the USB jack. I'd like to know if the unit can be used (Create waypoints, create routes, run a simulation) when it's on AC power.

With the AC Adaptor connected, I have just tried running route simulation; this worked fine. When I disconnected the AC Adaptor it told me that external power had been lost and did I want to continue on battery power Yes/No? This shows that the unit does recognize that external power was present.

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradders2 wrote:
crazyfingers wrote:
Quote:

With the AC Adaptor connected, I have just tried running route simulation; this worked fine. When I disconnected the AC Adaptor it told me that external power had been lost and did I want to continue on battery power Yes/No? This shows that the unit does recognize that external power was present.

Real weird. It's hard to imagine that the 750 and 760 would have that difference. But I suppose it's possible.

In any case I suppose I'll get what they recommend. The advantage is that the second cradle will be handy to have. I have a permanent mount in my car that I had been using with my old iQue. But when I travel for business and get a rental car it will be handy to have a second cradle so that I don't have to take my permanent mount apart.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the AC adapter supplied with my 660 allows you to use the unit normally. Using the supplied GARMIN USB cable causes it to go into disk mode from any USB power source. I have some cheap USB cables that don't cause it to go into disk mode. I thought it was the cable that triggered it - something to do with the value of a resistor connecting one of the pins to power?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: