Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Nav for Italy???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Nav for Italy???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav for Italy??? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Found this forum while googling for information about satnavs as we are heading off to Italy next year and need a gps unit.

We have never had a system before so are new to the whole GPS thing and could really use some advice as to the best deal to go for.

I have read some horror stories about some Garmin's not working great in Italy, is that true?

Any advice and recommendation gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Alex
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that Garmin works fine in Italy. Map detail and coverage of countries such as Italy and Spain has improved a great deal over recent years, Garmin use Navteq map data, others such as TomTom use TeleAtlas.

I would consider a device from Garmin, TomTom, Mio, CoPilot and Navman.

e.g. TomTom ONE XL EU can be had for less than £200, a has a widescreen and will serve you well.
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.

The comments I read were on a US website and had at least half a dozen people saying that the Italian maps were unusable. Not old comments, all made within the last 6 months or so.

Thanks

Alex
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winniewinser wrote:
Thanks Darren.

The comments I read were on a US website and had at least half a dozen people saying that the Italian maps were unusable. Not old comments, all made within the last 6 months or so.

Thanks

Alex

Odd, I have used both Navteq and TeleAtlas map data in Italy and not had any major issues. Some very small back roads were not mapped but driving along autostrada and finding our accommodation is towns was no problem.
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Odd, I have used both Navteq and TeleAtlas map data in Italy and not had any major issues. Some very small back roads were not mapped but driving along autostrada and finding our accommodation is towns was no problem.

That's good to know, thanks very much for your help.

I am looking at the Garmin Nuvi 250, TomTom One V3 or a Navman at the moment. I don't need bells and whistles, just a to b directions.

Cheers

Alex
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toured with a caravan to Geneva, Lake Garda, Venice, Bologna, Rome and Sorrento in June.

I used Garmin units with MapSource CityNavigator Europe v9, and only had one problem with the mapping at Lake Garda [it was the unit's problem - now been corrected with a new unit software release]

Plan your routes on the PC and transfer to the unit.
Buy a unit that can use many vias and store routes [not all do] and one you can use away from the car.

The 60CSX was great in Rome or Venice while walking between attractions or for marking and returning to a bus or car park!

Mapping software v10 [2008] will be available at the start of the year.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
I toured with a caravan

Aha!!
I THOUGHT there was something dodgy about you.... Very Happy
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

strumble wrote:
I toured with a caravan to Geneva, Lake Garda, Venice, Bologna, Rome and Sorrento in June.

I used Garmin units with MapSource CityNavigator Europe v9, and only had one problem with the mapping at Lake Garda [it was the unit's problem - now been corrected with a new unit software release]

Plan your routes on the PC and transfer to the unit.
Buy a unit that can use many vias and store routes [not all do] and one you can use away from the car.

The 60CSX was great in Rome or Venice while walking between attractions or for marking and returning to a bus or car park!

Mapping software v10 [2008] will be available at the start of the year.
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we took a look at some units in a shop today and despite the shop person being pretty useless we decided we like the look of the widescreen versions.

So my options are as follows :-

Garmin 250w (£149)
Navman S70 (£170)
TomTom One XL Europe (£180)

Which is the best one to go for? Or should I be looking ate different models?

I have a budget of around £200. Don't need Bluetooth or MP3.

I continue to read reviews on Amazon and the like about people having proplems with aquiring satelite connections with various units, is this a problem anyone has found?

I always tend to over-research purchases like this and end up confusing myself stupid! Rolling Eyes

Help appreciated.

Thanks

Alex
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your short list I would go for the One XL, it has an easier to use interface than the Garmin product and a much faster GPS signal acquisition. The TomTom product has a better POI warning system than any of the other devices on your list, and is easier to customise for warnings should you need them.
One final consideration is device supportability over a long period of time, again TomTom score very high on this count, even the first PNA devices they brought out can run relatively new software and mapping, Navman sadly don't have this reputation, Garmin is quite good for the maps but not too hot for software updates from what I have experianced - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally .....
Get it for yourself as a Christmas present and spend the next six months accustomising yourself to it. Take time to learn to ignore it occasionally and see the result of re-routing. The Italians (I found last year) have a habit of building new roads all over the place, particularly toll motorways. I always had my Tom Tom set to avoid motorways (cos' I'm a cheapskate not wanting to pay) but a couple of times I found myself on them entirely because the roads had been rebuilt (followed the Satnav along a road which suddenly turned into a one way access to a motorway).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I shouldn't worry that the One XL is an older product? Just make sure it has up to date maps at buy time right.

Cheers

Alex

mikealder wrote:
From your short list I would go for the One XL, it has an easier to use interface than the Garmin product and a much faster GPS signal acquisition. The TomTom product has a better POI warning system than any of the other devices on your list, and is easier to customise for warnings should you need them.
One final consideration is device supportability over a long period of time, again TomTom score very high on this count, even the first PNA devices they brought out can run relatively new software and mapping, Navman sadly don't have this reputation, Garmin is quite good for the maps but not too hot for software updates from what I have experianced - Mike
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis. It is going to be a little crimbo pressie to myself.

Good advice below, thanks

Alex

DennisN wrote:
And finally .....
Get it for yourself as a Christmas present and spend the next six months accustomising yourself to it. Take time to learn to ignore it occasionally and see the result of re-routing. The Italians (I found last year) have a habit of building new roads all over the place, particularly toll motorways. I always had my Tom Tom set to avoid motorways (cos' I'm a cheapskate not wanting to pay) but a couple of times I found myself on them entirely because the roads had been rebuilt (followed the Satnav along a road which suddenly turned into a one way access to a motorway).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the age of the One XL it is a relatively new product, I am not too sure if it is supplied with a latest map Gaurantee certificate, but if it isn't you can allways take the issue up with TomTom, I would expect version 710 maps with the One XL these days - Mike
winniewinser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the age of the One XL it is a relatively new product, I am not too sure if it is supplied with a latest map Gaurantee certificate, but if it isn't you can allways take the issue up with TomTom, I would expect version 710 maps with the One XL these days - Mike

Thanks Again

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: