Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Visual-Audio directions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Visual-Audio directions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Visual-Audio directions Reply with quote

Does anyone share my desire to have directions that tell me, for example, to take the numbered (eg 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) turn right or left from my current location at the time of the audio alert, in the same way that I'm already told to take a roundabout to the numbered exit. I find it only too easy to take the wrong turn when several junctions are very close together.

Anyone know if any satnav system already does this?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Visual-Audio directions Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
Does anyone share my desire to have directions that tell me, for example, to take the numbered (eg 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) turn right or left from my current location at the time of the audio alert, in the same way that I'm already told to take a roundabout to the numbered exit. I find it only too easy to take the wrong turn when several junctions are very close together.

Anyone know if any satnav system already does this?

Whenever there are many exits to a rounabout, or it's a complex junction, I always find that taking a few quick glances at the screen clarifies the situation much more than the audible prompt.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Visual-Audio directions Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

Whenever there are many exits to a rounabout, or it's a complex junction, I always find that taking a few quick glances at the screen clarifies the situation much more than the audible prompt.

For roundabouts it (a nuvi) already tells you which numerical exit to take (unless I am imagining it). The OP wants it to say something like "take 6th road on the right" unless I am mistaken. Problem here is that in a very crowded area (like a city centre) you may get confused as to where to start counting (is it from the next road or the one you have just drawn level with or just past due to delays in the navigation system?) Anyhow Lester_Burnham has it right - a quick glance at the screen will tell you what you want to know. You will probably be driving more slowly if you are that unsure in any case so less danger of causing a problem due to momentarily taking your eyes off the road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: