Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPRS phone comaptibility
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPRS phone comaptibility
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: GPRS phone comaptibility Reply with quote

I thought it maybe worth starting a thread on GPRS phone compatibility with v7.

I wondered if there is specifics of what the mobile phone needs to have in order to work, I know looking at the website it lists EDGE but is that just recommended or is a specific type of GPRS required and does the bluetooth connection have to support certain functions?
I'm waiting to find out if my Motorola SLVR v7 will work as it functions and is listed as being bluetooth compatible for handsfree yet not listed as GPRS compatible?.

It would be good if people who have V7 and have been able to activate and use GPRS sucessfully with phones not listed on the site to note them in this thread.

I.e.

Make:
Model:
Software version: (i.e. has it been updated since purchase)
Type of GPRS connection: i.e GPRS / EDGE or whatever other types of connection there is.
Handsfree compatible:
Any additional configuration:
Any issues:

It would be nice if this thread can be kept on topic Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It matters not to TomTom how the device gets the data connection, GPRS, EDGE, 3G etc etc. All that matters is that mobile internet is available.

The compatibility issues surround the actual implementation of Bluetooth on the handset and other protocols such as the information exchange for transferring SIM contacts, SMS etc.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: GPRS phone comaptibility Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

I wondered if there is specifics of what the mobile phone needs to have in order to work, I know looking at the website it lists EDGE but is that just recommended or is a specific type of GPRS required and does the bluetooth connection have to support certain functions?
I'm waiting to find out if my Motorola SLVR v7 will work as it functions and is listed as being bluetooth compatible for handsfree yet not listed as GPRS compatible?.

It would be good if people who have V7 and have been able to activate and use GPRS sucessfully with phones not listed on the site to note them in this thread.

I.e.

Make:
Model:
Type of GPRS connection: i.e GPRS / EDGE or whatever other types of connection there is.
Handsfree compatible:
Any issues:

Great idea, I was thinking of doing the same thing last night Very Happy I'll update this thread with my 3 phones later.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It matters not to TomTom how the device gets the data connection, GPRS, EDGE, 3G etc etc. All that matters is that mobile internet is available.

The compatibility issues surround the actual implementation of Bluetooth on the handset and other protocols such as the information exchange for transferring SIM contacts, SMS etc.

Cheers, although that wouldn't explain why my Motorola SLVR v7 which is listed as Bluetooth compatible is not on the GPRS list.
I'm very tempted to get a RAZR2 v8 or a Z8 but would hate to spend loads on a phone for it not to work.
wecpc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GPRS phone comaptibility Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

I.e.

Make:
Model:
Handsfree compatible:
Any issues:

I have a Samsung D900i and it works with the X970T but not with GPRS

Make:Samsung
Model:D900i
Software version: No change from new
Type of GPRS connection: WAP 2.0, GPRS Class 10, Edge, Bluetooth 2.0, USB 2.0
Handsfree compatible: Yes
Any additional configuration: No
Any issues:Cannot get GPRS facility to work with the X970T
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd as the Samsung SGH-D 900 (same phone?) is listed as working. Maybe the GPRS services are not fully up and running yet?
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Some of the phones are working on Bluetoth and some on GPRS and some on both.
We arw working on this list and getting them all working including the Blackberry devices etc.

I will update you as we get more phones working - I have used a Sony ericsson phone to test GPRS and it works really well with updating "My Viamichelin" and the one shot function. This function is great as it fires it into navigation mode with the address you looked up on the internet as soon as you hit the button.

If anyone want s to see this running and can get to the Stuff Show at the Novotel Hammersmith then feel free to come and see me demonstrating it.

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm very tempted to order a Motorola Razr2 V8 and hope it will work with GPRS and Bluetooth Smile

Are you saying that if the phone doesn't work at first the v7 software can be updated to work with more phones?

Update having seen the Razr2 v8 today and how fiddly it is to flip open (bit shiny and girly looking too) have decided I may go with a Sony instead. Maybe the W910i as all other Sonys seem to be listed there would be a good chance it will work Smile
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a Sony Ericsson W910i at all. Would like to be sure it will work with both the Hands Free and GPRS before I decide to buy one.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi .... I know the 810i is compatable but the 910i hasnt been tested yet...

I will get back to you...

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Hi .... I know the 810i is compatable but the 910i hasnt been tested yet...

I will get back to you...

Cheers. Your support on here is invaluable Very Happy I really like the look of the phone and as I'm on Pay As You Go I won't be getting the phone as a free upgrade or anything so want to be sure that it will also work with V7 on the X980t Smile
I look forward to finding out. Out of interest do you know what makes one one compatible and not others.

Other thing is the K630i is listed as compatible yet SE website say's it's not out yet? Laughing Out Loud
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonandmarkuk,

This info may also be useful.

I have a Sony P900, and handsfree/GPRS works.

Make:Sony
Model:P900
Software version: No change from new
Type of GPRS connection: GPRS
Handsfree compatible: Yes
Any additional configuration: No
Any issues: Can't copy the contacts from sim.
Comments: GPRS and Handsfree works.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Not bothered about being able to copy the contacts so as long as the other two features work I'd be happy.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my v7 upgrade and thought I would try it with my old Motorola Slvr. Anyone know what the GPS is doing when it shows "loading GPRS Settings' as it's been like it for sometime now and wondered if it was doing anything at all or just frozen.

Does setting up the link take a while?
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Just got my v7 upgrade and thought I would try it with my old Motorola Slvr. Anyone know what the GPS is doing when it shows "loading GPRS Settings' as it's been like it for sometime now and wondered if it was doing anything at all or just frozen.

Does setting up the link take a while?

It was fairly quick for me... 10 sec or so. I had to accept the settings on my phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: