Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please recommend me a sat nav that has these facilities.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please recommend me a sat nav that has these facilities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinpan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Please recommend me a sat nav that has these facilities. Reply with quote

Hi All

I'm looking to buy a new Garmin sat nav. I want one that you can specify vehicle type. I also want one that does mapping via the PC. I'd like it to have euro maps loaded rather than having to switch SD cards on route etc. I'd be grateful if anyone could identify and recommend a model that can do all this.

Many thanks
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. If you look on the Garmin UK website or the Global Positioning Systems website, they will give you a good idea of what the individual features and functions are. This site has an excellent review of a 300 series model. A range of different vehicles (icons) can be downloaded form Garmin. As far as the nuvi range goes, each series 200 / 300/ 600 / 700 have models that ship with UK & Ireland maps, UK & Euro maps or UK, Euro & USA maps. 200 series models are what they describe as "entry level" through to the new in the UK top of the range 700 series. You pays your money & takes your choice! You also have to consider which size of screen you require. The normal screen is 3.5", some 200 series (200W, 250W) and all 600 & 700 series are widescreen - 4.3" There are a load of other features to choose from in order to home in on the model that's right for you.

I am not sure what you mean by "mapping via the PC". I think that with all nuvi models, map & POI updates are done by USB connection to a PC.
I must admit, it does all seem to be a bit of a minefield, though!
Hope this helps.

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800
Tinpan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

The mapping I refer to is where you can plot your route on your PC and download it to the sat nav unit. See last paragraph here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=414

I was going to buy the Zumo 550 but as its a motorcycle specific one there is a premium to pay for the waterproof casing. As its unlikely I'd ever use it on my bike I was hoping to get the same spec one but cheaper?

Many thanks.
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Garmin nuvi range has not got the facility of pre-planning routes on PC. Sad The new 700 series does have the ability to store up to 10 routes in advance, which can be programmed into the unit. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: